School: Town of York, Romadka School
Surnames: ALBRECHT BARTZ BENDER BRAATZ DANKEMEYER GARBISCH GRAVES GROTTKE KINTZELE KOZMOSKI MCVEAN PAGENKOPF PAULSON RAINE ROWE SCHERER SCHLINSOG WALKER WOLTER YANKEE ZANK ZILLMER ROMADKA SCHOOL -- DIST. NO. 4, TOWN OF YORK
----Source: Granton Community Memories 1856-1976
July 5, 1887 was the time of the first school meeting. John P. Kintzele was elected chairman of the meeting. The school was located on the top of the hill on Fred Garbisch's land near Harold Schlinsog's line fence. A new two-room building was put up in 1906 and was in use by 1907. For most of the years there were two teachers. The 7th and 8th grade boys had Manual Training (wood-working, etc.) on Fridays and the 7th and 8th grade girls had cooking, sewing and infant hygiene. Some of the teachers who taught there were Sadie Graves Rowe, Bertha Albrecht Bartz, Victor Pagenkopf, Helen Braatz, Mildred Bartz, Evelyn Bartz, Verna Kosmoski, Anna Scherer Zank, Marie Zillmer, Mary Yankee, Ella Raine, Ethel Grottke Paulson, Violet Walker Bender, Natalie Dankemeyer, Nina Wolter and Faith McVean.
The school was consolidated with Granton in 1858. A fire of unknown cause destroyed the building on Sept. 21, 1963.
The highlights of the school year in the rural schools were the Christmas programs put on by the pupils and followed with an exchange of gifts for which the students drew names, and the school picnic held the last day of the school year. The picnic dinner to which almost everyone in the district came was followed by a ball game which usually pitted the fathers of the students against the school children or for which sides were chosen. After a few innings of ball, they often went back in for some lemonade and ice cream if there was some still remaining from the lunch. Perhaps few things united a community as did participation in rural school activities.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs