School: Town of Fremont, Franklin
Surnames: BEECKLER BERG CRANDALL DAVIS DOWNER DRESCHER DUDEI EGGEN FERGUSON FREE GARBISCH GARDNER GERLACH HALES HIGGINS KUECHENMEISTER KURTH LEE MCNEILLY MORTIMER NICKEL O'REILLY OSGOOD PIETENPOL RATH ROSE SCHLINSOG SNYDER SYVERSON THEIDE VOLRATH WASHBURN WESTPHAL WILKE WRIGHT
Franklin School was the fifth school to be organized in the Town of Fremont. Boundaries were set up in 1884.
From information solicited from senior citizens, who once attended the Franklin School or lived in this area, it has been concluded that the first school house was built in the late 1890's. The first building was a frame structure on a stone foundation without a basement. It consisted of one room. In about 1910 an entrance for coats was added to it.
In 1921 a new schoolhouse was built. It included a basement with a big wood furnace, indoor toilets and two rooms for library and textbooks. This building was used until consolidation started. The enrollment declined and district five joined Cozy Corner School about 1942. Later they joined with Granton district.
Some of the people who taught in the Franklin School were Ernest Lee, Hazel Downer (Rath), Lottie Berg, Bessie Wright (Osgood), Mae Free, Ora Davis, Vera Pietenpol, Mariah Davis (Mortimer), Clara Wilke, Emma Volrath (Gerlach), Cecelia O'Reilly (McNeilly), Daphne Beeckler, Delma Nickel (Keuchenmeister), Elva Rose (washburn), Hope Snyder, Nelda Drescher (Schlinsog), Mrs. Isaac Higgins, Herbert Garbisch, Esther Ferguson, Vivian Drescher (Thiede), Edna Kurth (Westphal), Lela Downer (Syverson), Dorothy Gardner ( Crandall), Evelyn Hales (Dudei), Carol Eggen and Lorraine Schoenherr.
----Source: Granton Community Memories 1856-1976
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs