Property: Dorchester, Post Office
Contact: Graeme Miltimore
----Source: Historical Sketches of Dorchester, Wisconsin (1873-1973)
Dorchester, Post Office Locations (1874-1973) Posted by: Graeme Miltimore Email: email@example.com Surnames: BAKER BECK BOGAARD FRITSCH GARBISCH HOMSTED JANTSCH KRONSCHNABLE LABOSSIER LECLAIRE MICHLIG MILTIMORE SCHIEF SHAFER TISCHENDORF WEBER
Post Office in Miltimore's General Store. On the left is Joseph C. Weber, carrier on R.F.D., No. 2 since Oct., 1917. Leaves July 25, 1918 in Answer to his country's call to the colors. On the right is George LeClaire, carrier on R.F.D., No. 1 since 1905. He has traveled about 112,000 miles during his service and 8,616 miles each year. In the center is Herman Kronschnabl, Postmaster. This picture was taken 1918.
POST OFFICE IN THE MILTIMORE BUILDING
In 1874, Bradley G. Miltimore, appointed by President Cleveland became Dorchester's first postmaster, with the first post office located in Miltimore's General Store. The postmasters following him were Henry LaBossier, August Homsted, Peter Shafer and Louis Homsted. During the term of Herman Kronschnable in 1923, the post office then located south of the Bischoff Machine Shop, burned down. Various locations in town served as post office, including the Kronschnable building (location of Lola's). O & N building and the present Schief building. Later postmasters were Harry Garbisch, Albert Beck and Max Kronschnable.
The present post office was built in 1941 by William Jantsch, and moved into in December of that year. Franklin Fritsch, present postmaster, was commissioned on July 15, 1946. Joan Baker, Dolores Tischendorf and Lavern Michlig serve as clerks with Robert Bogaard as regular rural carrier and Lavern Michlig serving as substitute rural carrier.
William Jantsch, starting in 1920 and retiring December 1964, was the rural mail carrier for 44 years, the longest period of any carrier in the history of Dorchester.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs