Contact: Allan Wessel
WISCONSIN TEACHER'S CONTRACT FOR 1922 ($75 A MONTH)
September: BACK TO SCHOOL DAYS
Miss ______________________ agrees
1. Not to get married. This contract becomes null and void immediately if the teacher marries.
2. Not to have company with men.
3. To be home between the hours of 8 p.m. and 6 a.m. unless in attendance at a school function.
4. Not to loiter downtown in ice cream stores.
5. Not to leave town at any time without the permission of the chairman of the trustees.
6. Not to smoke cigarettes. This contract becomes null and void immediately if the teacher is found smoking.
7. Not to drink beer, wine or whisky. This contract becomes null and void if the teacher is found drinking beer, whine or whiskey.
8. Not to ride in a carriage or automobile with any man except her brother or father.
9. Not to dress in bright colors.
10. Not to dye her hair.
11. To wear at least two petticoats.
12. Not to wear dresses more than two inches above the ankles.
13. To keep the schoolroom clean:
a. To sweep the classroom floor at least once daily.
b. To scrub the classroom floor at least once weekly with soap and hot water.
c. To clean the blackboard at least once daily.
d. To start the fire at 7 a.m. so that the room will be warm at 8:00 a.m. when the children arrive.
14. Not to wear face powder, mascara or to paint the lips.
Received from Mrs. Lorraine Allchin, California. She noted on the back that before they had any children, John Vollrath and his wife Mada boarded teachers in their log cabin in Mead Township.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs