Hendren--Wildwood Cheese Factory
Wildwood Cheese Factory was also known as Suda's Cheese Factory.
The building and business was built and developed by William Gerlach, located five miles west of Longwood (on N), one mile south and one mile west. The Oakland school was on the same intersection.
Mandy and Louie Suda married sisters, Mary and Jennie. The two couples purchased the Wildwood Cheese Factory in 1931.
Along with the cheese factory, was a grocery store, tavern and gasoline sales with a pump in front of the building. As one of the previous owners stated, "We were kept very busy - there was a lot of work to be done each day." The cheese operation made cheddar and Colby cheese.
During the "milk strike" of the 30's, their factory was broken into, and the faucets on all three milk tanks were opened - the contents emptied, lost. That was the time of the Depression when businesses had "rough going," so the loss of that much milk added to their financial stress as the patrons still had to be paid.
After fourteen years in the business, the two Suda couples sold the Wildwood Cheese Factory.
The Suda Bros., Wildwood Cheese Factory of Willard, Hendren Township, Clark Co., Wisconsin, is pictured above.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs