Property: Greenwood, WI Creamery (1910)
Contact: Janet Rogolski
----Sources: Submitted to "Yarns of Yesterday" by John and Ione Urban of Neillsville and was shared by the Thorp Area Museum.
This is the Greenwood Creamery as it looked sometime before July, 1910 when the postcard was sent. It was addressed to Miss Gladys Winters at Neillsville in Clark County.
----Source: Greenwood Gleaner, 5 Aug 1909
The improvements now under way and the ones that are contemplated at Greenwood's prosperous creamery, are reaching enormous proportions and will mean the expenditure of thousands of dollars before they will be completed. The Greenwood Creamery, while only a branch of the Eau Claire concern, is fast becoming noted all over this part of the state, and is one of Greenwood's most prosperous industries.
The little room on the north side of the building, which had formerly been used as a store room, is being built larger and remodelled and will be used as a weighing room when completed. A new landing stage is being built on the north side, above which will be placed a twenty-foot wide, overhanging roof, which will span the driveway. On this stage will be place tackle for the purpose of lifting the cans of cream and milk from the wagon to the landing, which will do away with the inconvenience of handling the large cans by hand.
The little room on the extreme northeast corner, which has not been used for any purpose, is being built over into an office and testing room. The company has purchased a new apparatus for testing milk and cream and the same is now installed in the new testing room.
On the north side of the central part of the building, the raised platform on which the cream and milk vats and agitators stand, will be torn down, the floor torn up and replaced with a concrete floor. The vats will be place on a level and will be emptied as needed by automatic pumps instead of gravitation as heretofore. When this work is completed the company will add to new agitators and a 1200 pound capacity churn. This will make a complete alteration to the butter and churning room, and will be much more convenient than it is now, and will better enable them to handle their large and constantly increasing business.
The refrigerator room will all be torn down and rebuilt, and the company will install an ice-making machine and make all their own ice. This will be arranged so that the refrigerator will remain constantly at a certain temperature.
The old ice house in the rear of the building will be torn out and rebuilt into a warehouse, with a floor laid between the first and second stories. A new ice house will be built on the lot back of the plant and will be 20x24 feet. A new coal house has also been built to the south of the plant and is being finished in imitation brick.
The company has purchased an acre of ground on the lot to the west of the plant and a 20-foot strip on the north side, all of which has been purchased for the purpose of extending and enlarging the plant. It is reported that the company expects to build and up-to-date Concdensary in the near future.
Herman Metzke & my dad (George Stark) worked here. They waxed the cheese & loaded on railroad cars.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs