----Source: Centennial History of the York Center United Methodist Church, 1880 - 1980.
JOSEPH SPANGLER FAMILY
Joseph Spangler was born in Jefferson County, Wisconsin, March 17, 1861, son of George and Mary (Schweiger) Spangler. The parents who wer'e natives of Germany were married in Milwaukee in 1846 immediately, or soon after, landing in this country from a sailing ship which took ninety-three days to make the trip from Europe to America. George Spangler was a mason by trade, and after his marriage he and his wife resided for some years in Milwaukee. There he bought a piece of land that afterwards rose to a high valuation with the growth of the city. Selling this land he moved to Jefferson County where, before his death, he cleared up two farms. He was a member of the Catholic Church. He and his wife had nine children. Eight grew to maturity. They are Kate, Michael, George, John, Annie, Mary, Joe, Walberger and Casper.
Joseph Spangler acquired his education in the log schoolhouse of his district and in the parochial school. At the age of seventeen he struck out for himself, first going to Waukesha and afterwards to Monroe County, Wis. He came to Clark County when he was 18 years old, about 1879.
Here he worked in lumber camps and for the farmers. A year later he bought a tract of land in Section 5, York Township. It was located in the woods and away from any road so that he had to cut his way in. At the age of 22 years, he located on the place and lived there as a bachelor for nine years.
At first he resided in a frame shanty and worked at clearing his farm without the aid of implements, or stock. It was two years before he got a horse team, later securing an ox team. And it was five years from the time he started before he had a c w. He bought a t new wagon after he had been there three years, and he often walked to and from the market, carrying stuff on his back.
About 1893 Mr. Spangler was married to Rosa Pompo, who was born on a farm at Russville, Trempealeau County, Wis., September 4, 1877.
He built a good brick house of seven rooms; a basement barn, 36 by 80 feet, built in 1903, and a stone silo, 14 by 26 feet. He increased the size of his farm from 80 to 200 acres, and raised graded Holstein cattle and a good grade of horses. He also grew quite a considerable quantity of fruit.
All this progress has been the result of hard work, continued over many years, but he is now reaping the reward of his industry. He and his wife have seven children: Tony, Lenora, Joe, Paulina, Phillip, Frank and Anna.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs