School: Thorp, Clark Co., WI Schoolhouse
County Illustrated" by Saterlee, Tifft & Marsh; 1890
THORP, CLARK COUNTY, WISCONSIN SCHOOL HOUSE (1890).
Few schools in northern Wisconsin have shown a stronger, healthier growth than has that in the village of Thorp. Previous to, and a year or two after the founding of the village, the school occupied the building now used as the Baptist church. In 1884 the present fine schoolhouse was erected and the school divided into two departments. In 1886 another department was added, and two years later the fourth was established. The building is heated by a furnace in the basement, one of the most complete heating and ventilating systems in the country. The school board and electors at annual school meetings have shown most commendable liberality in proving furniture and apparatus, and no school in the county, if indeed in the state, is better supplied with necessary school machinery than the school at Thorp. The course of study has been carefully prepared and revised, and has gradually worked towards perfection, till little is left to be desired in that direction. Preliminary examinations have been held with a view to establish a free thigh school, and doubtless the arrangement will be completed within this year. The present school board consists of George Burke, clerk; George H. Lusk, treasurer, and E. R. Wiley, director. To these and former members of the board, together with the corps of faithful teaches, is due much credit for the present standing of the school.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs