BioM: Irwin, Agnes
(Marriage - 1919)
Surnames: JACKSON IRWIN
----Source: CLARK COUNTY REPUBLICAN & PRESS (Neillsville, Wis.) 08/14/1919
Irwin, Agnes (Marriage - 6 AUG 1919)
The home of Mr. and Mrs. H. J. Irwin, 427 Fourth Av., was the scene of a pretty wedding, when their daughter, Miss Agnes Irwin became the bride of Capt. Leo Milan Jackson of Neillsville, Clark County, Wis., Wednesday at 11:30 am. Aug. 6, 1919.
The vows were spoken before an improvised altar of palms, ferns and flowers, the bridal couple standing beneath a bell of southern smilax, ferns and sweet pears. The bride was given in marriage by her father, H. J. Irwin. The ceremony was performed by Rev. Paul C. Voris of the First Presbyterian Church, in the presence of the relatives of the bride and bridegroom, and a few immediate friends. Baskets of pink and white flowers were used in profusion about the living rooms, and southern smilax was draped about the chandeliers and archways, the rooms being illuminated by candlelight.
Miss Maude Watson was bridesmaid. Her gown was of white silk crepe de meteor embroidered in silk. Her flowers were pink Killarney roses and sweet pears. Dr. Vernon D. Irwin of Morgan Park, brother of the bride, attended Capt. Jackson as best man.
The bride was gowned in white georgette crepe over white satin and wore a rope of pearls, the gift of the bridegroom. She carried a shower bouquet of white bride's roses and sweet peas.
Mrs. H. J. Irwin, mother of the bride, was gowned in turquoise blue georgette crepe, and Mrs. E. L. Jackson, mother of the bridegroom, wore a gown of black satin trimmed with gold lace.
Preceding the ceremony a short musical program was rendered by Miss Madaline James and LeRoy E. Ballieu. As the bridal party entered, Fred W. Doerr played Medelssohn's wedding march.
Following the ceremony a dinner was served to the guests. The bridal table, at which were seated fourteen guests, was in the dining room. A large basket of pink and white sweet peas was used as a center piece. In the living room the other guests were served from smaller tables. Assisting in the dining room were Miss Altie Schwartz, Mesdames Hugh H. Doerr, Wm. M. Hulberg, Robt. E. Hastings, Emil Young, George Altstatt and Robt. Tubman.
The bride's traveling suit was of cream broadcloth and she wore a large georgette hat. The young couple will be at home at Neillsville, Wis., after an extended trip.
The out of town guests were Mrs. E. L. Jackson, Misses Violet M. and Ruth E. Jackson, of Neillsville, Mrs. Anna Goodnaught of Virginia, Minn., and Mr. and Mrs. J. E. Irwin of Biwabik, Minn.
The bride has resided at Two Harbors since childhood and was one of the most popular members of the younger social set. She graduated from the Two Harbors High School in 1913, and for the past few years has been employed in the D. & I. R. dock offices.
Capt. Jackson was born and reared at Neillsville, Wis., where he was educated in the public school and later took a course in college. Some fifteen years ago he entered the employ of the W. J. Marsh Dry Good Co., and today holds a lucrative position with this firm.
He was a member of the Wis. State Militia when the Mexican trouble broke out, and saw service on the border as second lieutenant, and when Co. A. third Wis. was transferred to Two Harbors in the summer of 1917, he was promoted to first Lieutenant. His company remained in this city from April 7 to Aug. 16, doing guard duty on D. & I. R. property, and while here he made a host of friends. Mr. Jackson, with his company later left fro France, where they participated in several of the largest battles, and a large number of his comrades were killed in action. While overseas he was promoted to the rank of captain, and the company was transferred to the 121st and 119th machine gun battalion They were in France for 27 months.
The Journal-New joins with their many friends in wishing Mr. and Mrs. Jackson a long and prosperous married life.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs