History: Local Tidbits (22 Aug 1872)
----Source: Clark County Republican & Press Date: 8-22-1873
Geo. Farley, who has long been employed in Marshall’s tin shop, is about to remove to Eau Claire.
Rev. Mr. Hewett, of Girard, Kansas, filled the Methodist pulpit last Sabbath evening, and gave his hearers an excellent sermon. Mr. Hewett is a brother of Mr. S. B. Hewett, Sr., of this place. He is spending the present week with his relatives here, and will preach at the Methodist church again next Sunday forenoon.
Mr. Geo. Delaine, formerly of Black River Falls, has selected Neillsville as his future abode, and is putting up a neat little residence in the northern part of town next to that of his brother James. He says the balance of the people of that place will be here by next spring.
Charles Kurth has purchased the well know Rexer property in the town of Weston, together with W. T. Hutchinson’s farm adjoining. Mr. Kurth proposes to fit the RExer hotel up in good shape and keep it open to the public. He is also about to put up a store building, in which he will open a general stock of merchandise.
Loyal We paid a short visit, on Wednesday, to this fast growing municipal infant. WE were much pleased with its evident prosperity and the hopeful energy of its inhabitants who have a well founded faith in its future importance. The leading institution of the place is
GRAVE’S STEAM MILL, owned and conducted by Graves & Son. It is a very complete steam saw mill, of large capacity, supplied with the most improved machinery, and from the splendid pine in that vicinity is turning out some of the best lumber we have ever seen. The mill is supplied with lath saws, planer, and very thing else to be found in a first-class establishment, which are kept busy in supplying the growing demand for lumber in that fast improving section.
GWINN & LECLAIRE are the proprietors of the leading mercantile establishment, and their shelves contain as fine a stock of general merchandise as any one would wish to select from. They seem to buy with the presumption that the people of that section want as good things as they do anywhere, and they are prospering upon that theory.
FRANK BUTLER also keeps a good stock of general merchandise, which will soon be removed to a large store building on the main street, now being built for him by Graves & Son. Mr. Butler commenced business there last fall, and has done a very prosperous subiness. We were pleased to find our old friend.
JOHN AFFOLTER well established in the furniture business, and busy with his preparations for extending it. He is putting up a very nice store building in which he proposes to keep as good a stock of furniture as can be found in the county.
F.C. HARTFORD, keeps a very comfortable looking hotel, which we could not test without slighting the hospitality of our old friends, Mr. and Mrs. John Swinn, with whom we took tea. It bears a good hotel reputation, however, and looks inviting enough to justify it. Several other places, wagon shops, blacksmith shop we had not time to visit, and cannot speak further of it at this time.
THE IMMEDIATE PROSPECTS of Loyal are very encouraging. Though the business establishments may not increase much in the next year, the building and improving of residences and business places is being carried forward as speedily as possible, and in that time will leave it a cozy, busy little village.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs