Centennial Booklet, pg. 72, contributed by Pearl Vorland & this
articel transcribed by Janet.
Photographers of Colby, Clark County, WI
In the early days, itinerant photographers who came to Colby would pitch their tents on the village square. One such man, Mr. Perkins, offered $10.00 to anyone who could produce a baby so nervous that he couldn't take its picture.
R. P. Dake, started a gallery opposite the Colby House in 1887, Morgan Danks, who built his shop and house on Front Street, was the first resident photographer. In 1901, Leo Lukowicz, with the help of his brothers, John, Frank and August, bought lots on Division St. from Neumeister and built a studio. A partnership which was dissolved after one year. The family also owned a grist mill on the site where the Dugout Bar later stood.
After Mr. Lukowicz's marriage to Ida Gierl, living quarters were added to the studio.
After his death in 1928, Mrs. Lukowicz continued in the business until April 1947, when it was taken over by a son, Leo "Snap" who with his wife, Tess, kept the business until his death in 1966. The property was then sold to Kenneth and Marlene Schulz in 1968. They sold it to John Keel of Marshfield, the present owner.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs