Oscar (1881 - 1945)
Contact: Janet Rogalski
Surnames: GRIEBENOW SCHELHORN HUGHES KAEMMER DUECKER
----Source: Stark Family Album
Griebenow, Oscar (28 MAR 1881 - 20 JAN 1945)
Saturday morning at 6:00 a.m. this community lost its pioneer businessman and most highly respected citizen, in the death of Oscar Griebenow, owner and operator of the Griebenow Co., central Wisconsin's largest hardware and furniture store. Mr. Griebenow came to Owen, Clark County, Wis. more than 40 years ago, and since that time has been engaged in the hardware and funiture business, building up one of the most substantial businesses in central Wisconsin.
He was a member of the State Hardware Dealers Association, State Undertakers and Funeral Directors Association, Wis. Valley Cemetery Association, and belonged to the Hall Hardware Co., of Minneapolis.
For a number of years he served on the city council, and was supervisor from Owen when it was still incorporated as a village. He served in many public offices and did all in his power to make Owen a city, and a pleasant place in which to do business and live. He was a member of the Episcopal Church, of the Masonic Lodge, as well as the Owen Businessmen's club and the Chamber of Commerce.
Just how ell he worked in the pioneer days is illustrated in the fact that he was the first man to sell and set up a gasoline engine in the county. His life was full of work and full of success, and by his understanding ways he was popular and helpful, all of which are pleasant memories to his family and friends.
Oscar Griebenow was born March 28, 1881, at Kiel, Wis., and died Jan. 20, 1945, at the Legault Hospital, Owen, where he had been a patient for about a week. He had been in failing health for the past several months, and had sought the best medical aid possible in order to regain his health, but all efforts were fruitless. For the past few months he had been making daily visits to his store, and carrying on what business he was able to do. A turn for the worse last week returned him tot he hospital, where his last remaining days were spent.
He is survived by his wife and two daughters, Mrs. Fred Schelhorn and Mrs. Richard Hughes, Owen. One son preceded him in death about 25 years ago. Surviving also are two sisters, Mrs. Arthur Kaemmer and Mrs. Gus Duecker, Kiel, and two brothers, Fred of Sierra Madre, Calif., and William of Rhinelander.
Mr. Griebenow, before coming to Owen, was engaged in the hardware business at Withee, being associated with the Rawson & Griebenow Co., which included Mr. Rawson, and Fred, William and Oscar Griebenow. As Owen began to grow, Oscar and Fred Griebenow came to Owen and opened the hardware store here, which has continuously carried their name. Today he is the sole owner.
Relatives from away who came to attend the funeral were: Ens. F. B. Schelhorn, San Diego, Calif.; Mr. and Mrs. G. E. Bauman, Evansville, Ind.; A. V. Bauman, H. R. Bauman, Chicago; Mesdames Elmer Meyer, U. Earp and F. Kohs, Green Bay; Mr. and Mrs. H. Duecker and Mr. and Mrs. R. Griebenow, Kiel; Mrs. Ed Arps, Oshkosh; and Mrs. Clara B. Weirich, Prairie du Sac.
Funeral directors of the Wis. Association who attended were: F. W. Lulloff and W. Tessmer, Colby; Mr. and Mrs. S. A. Ede, Mondovi; Arthur Taylor, Merrill; Elmer Taylor, Rib Lake; Everett Taylor, Wis. Rapids; Mr. and Mrs. Melvin Peterson, Wausau; Edward Newton, Oshkosh; F. B. Brandenburg, Park Falls; W. E. Nichols, Loyal; Ray Izydorek, Thorp, Mr. and Mrs. B. C. Swartout, Spencer, and Ervin Rann, Sheboygan.
Funeral services were conducted Tuesday afternoon from St. Katherine's Church, the Rev. R. E. Ortmayer officiating, and burial took place in the family lot at Riverside Cemetery. The acting pallbearers were old time friends of the deceased and included D. R. Richardson, L. B. Chabot, Ben Bruchert, H. L. Randall, Jack Olds and V. P. Barager.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs