News: Clark County
Contact: Steven Lavey
----Source: Clark County Republican Date: 01-24-1874
The numerous changes that have been made in the map of this county by orders of the county board creating new towns and changing the boundaries of others, have probably confused many as to the real size and location of the towns as they now are. We therefore present our readers a map which will enable them to see at a glance.
In this connection we deem it not inappropriate to give a brief synopsis of the record, showing the transition of the county from its organization up to the present time - so far as it relates the formation of towns, and the various changes of their lines.
The territory of this county was originally set off from La Crosse County by act of the Legislature of 1854, and was all the town of Pine Valley. The subsequent division of this territory into other towns, appear in the following abstract of the record kindly furnished us by County Clerk Ira B. Pope:
Levis - Formed on November 20, 1856, and comprised its present territory together with that of Washburn and Perkins.
Weston - Same date as above, consisted of all the territory north of Pine Valley, which by division extended from east to west across the county, taking in part of what is now Mentor, all of Grant, and the south half of Lynn.
December 8, 1860 a half mile strip on the north side of township 24, 1 west, (now Grant) was taken off from Pine Valley and annexed to Weston, and townships 24, 3 and 4 west, (now parts of Weston and Mentor) were taken from Weston and attached to Pine Valley.
Lynn - On March 21, 1862, this town was formed by the territory contained within its present limits and what is now the town of Grant - excepting the half mile strip above referred to.
Loyal - The town was organized February 28, 1865, and contained three tiers of townships on the east side of the county and running from its present south line to the northern boundary line of the county, which would include the present towns of Sherman, Eaton, Beaver, Unity, Colby, Mayville, and part of Hixon.
Mentor - Formed March 1, 1867, and has "held its own" ever since.
Grant - No order or date of the same appears upon the journal. It comprised its present territory with the exception of the aforesaid half mile strip.
Eaton - Formed July 20, 1869, and consisted of 15 townships, its limits extending to the north line of the county taking in part of Maysville and Hixon, and being very much the shape of a letter T.
Beaver - November 15, 1870, and comprised in addition to its present limits what is now Maysville, Colby and Unity.
York - February 24, 1873, consisting of its present limits and that aforesaid confounded "half mile strip."
Sherman - Same date as above, and as it is now.
Hixon - Same date as above, and as its limits remain unchanged.
Perkins - January 7, 1874, composed of it present territory.
At the last meeting of the Board, that troublesome "half mile strip" was annexed to Grant. The north tier of sections of 24, 2 west was attached to Pine Valley. Township 25, 3 west annexed to Weston, and 27, 3 west taken from the latter town and put on to Eaton.
Our map not having township lines, it has been more difficult to describe the changes that have been made.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs