Contact: Cheryl Janowiak
Julius Feind entered a homestead application for the S 1/2 of NW 1/4 of Section 14 in Township 28 of Range 1E, containing 80 acres, on May 13, 1872, at the Eau Claire (Wisconsin) Land Office. He filed the Final Homestead Proof papers and perfected his title for the homestead parcel on June 7, 1877. The homestead file kept at the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) documents the improvements to the homestead at the time the title was perfected (June 7, 1877): The house built on the homestead measured 18x20 feet was 1½-stories high, built of logs, and had a shingle roof, one door and two windows. There was a one-story,14x16 foot frame addition on the house, also with a shingle roof, one door and two windows. Both sections had board floors. Approximately 30 acres was under cultivation. Other improvements included: a log barn, 20x60 feet with a shingle roof; two stables, one 18x26 feet and one 18x24 feet, both with shingle roofs; a dug well, 50 feet deep; and 25 fruit trees.
The file also contains Julius Feind's Certificate of Naturalization.
While Julius Feind's name is on the paperwork, and, he does appear in the 1875 WI State Census in the Township of Colby, it appears his brother Edward (and Edward's wife, Louise) resided on the homestead, as comments in both Edward’s and Louise’s obituaries indicate:
"Mr. [Edward] Feind came to Colby about thirteen years ago  and settled on the farm where he died, one mile and a half west of the village." (written in 1886)
"In 1873 [Louise] moved to Colby, and settled on a farm in the town of Colby, near this city…. She continued to reside on the farm until a few years ago, when the farm was sold." (written in 1915)
Homestead information taken from: National Archives and Records Administration Land Entry File, Serial Patent Number WI0310_.074, Julius Feind, Entryman.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs