News: Willard -
Slovenia Heritage (19 July 2007)
Contact: Crystal Wendt
Surnames: Wesley, Grant, Lesar, Yurkovich, Walker, Pekol, Pakiz
-----Sources: Marshfield News Herald (Marshfield, Wood Co., Wis.) July 19, 2007
Willard to celebrate its Slovenian heritage
Slovenian Heritage Days will be July 27 to 29 in Willard.
A variety of fun-filled family events are planned as well as Slovenian music. The music of Slovenia is closely related to German, Austrian and Istrian because of its common history and Alpine and littoral culture. In the minds of many Slovenes and foreigners, Slovenian folk music means a form of polka that is still popular today. In fact Slovenian folk music consists of many different styles and is far from being only polka and waltz.
The popular singing duo, G.L. Wesley (originally from Willard) and his wife, Elaine Grant, will entertain crowds at the Willard Community Center from 7:30 p.m. to 11:30 p.m. July 27. Wesley is an Elvis impersonator, and Grant impersonates Patsy Cline. A $3 Willard souvenir button is required for admission.
All events will be at the community center unless otherwise indicated. Other planned weekend events include:
• 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.: Amish Craft and Furniture Sale at Willard Settlers Park.
• 10 a.m. to noon: G.L. Wesley and Elaine Grant -- autographs and pictures.
• 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.: Slovenian Potica and Apple Strudel Social and Willard History Display; and Kids in the Park events.
• 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Mary Ann Lesar and Gabe Yurkovich playing Slovenian music; and Slovenian Karaoke. A $3 Willard souvenir button is required for admission. A plate lunch will also be available. Cost is $4 for adults and $3 for children 12 and younger. Meal includes Slovenian meat sausage.
• 1 p.m. Historical Society members gathering.
• 2 p.m. to 3 p.m.: Willard Settlers Park dedication with history speakers, Century Farms recognition and Slovenian costume parade. (If inclement weather occurs, it will be at community center.)
• 2 p.m. to 10 p.m.: Jeff Walker Polka Band and Jim Pekol Band. A $3 Willard souvenir button is required for admission.
• Dusk: Fireworks at Willard ball diamond.
• 9 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.: Druzba, history books, cookbooks and drawing.
• 10:30 a.m.: Polka mass at Holy Family Catholic Church.
• 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.: Slovenian Potica and Apple Strudel Social.
• 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m.: Druzba picnic -- bring a dish to pass or monetary donation.
• 1 p.m. to 1;30 p.m.: Slovenian singing.
• 1 p.m. to 5 p.m.: Richie Yurkovich Band and Frank Pakiz Music. A $3 Willard souvenir button is required for admission.
Re: News: Willard
- Slovenia Heritage (19 July 200
Contact: Nancy Jeffers
are you having a celebration this year (2009)? We were there 2 years ago and had a great time. Will be in the area and would love to be there again.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs