Obit: Owen, James
(1868 - 1943)
Contact: Crystal Wendt
Surnames: Owen, Hopke, Sample, Longenecker, Stevens, Catlin, Bradford, Emke, Gergen, Patey, Windover, Carleton
----Sources: The Clark County Press (Neillsville, Clark County, Wis.) 18 Feb. 1943
Owen, James (28 Feb. 1868 - 14 Feb. 1943)
James Owen, 74, died at 6 a.m. Sunday, Feb. 14, at the Marshfield hospital, for injuries sustained when he was struck by an automobile Feb. 6, 1943. The accident took place on the concrete road, about 3 ½ miles north of Neillsville, when Mr. Owen walked out the driveway of the Joseph Hopke place and in front of the car of Park Sample, who was returning to Neillsville, Wis. Mr. Owen sustained serve skill injuries.
The death was not followed by an inquest, official investigation indicating clearly that Mr. Sample was driving carefully at the time.
Funeral services were held yesterday, Feb. 17, at 1:30 p.m. at the Jaster Funeral Home, the Rev. G. W. Longenecker officiating. Burial was made in the Neillsville Cemetery.
The pallbearers were William Stevens, Otto Catlin, William Bradford, Herman Emke, V. Gerge and S. P. Patey.
Mr. Owen was born in Canada, Feb. 28, 1868, the son of Mr. and Mrs. John Owen, Wis. He came to Clark County with his parents as a small child, this community having been his home for 73 years. He was not married.
He had made his home in Neillsville until last fall when he went to the home of Mr. and Mrs. Joe Hopka of Christie to work on the farm.
He is survived by two brothers, William Owen, Neillsville, and Chauncey Owen of Sioux Falls, S. D., and by two sisters, Mrs. C. M. Bradford, Neillsville and Mrs. Nellie Windover, Oregon. Three brothers and four sisters preceded him in death.
Chauncey Owen and Fred Carleton of Lawrence, Kansas, were among the relatives from out of town who attended the rites.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs