Obit: Gress, Anthony #2 (1858 - 1902)

Contact: Stan

Surnames: Gress

----Source: NEILLSVILLE TIMES (Neillsville, Clark County, Wis.) 05/29/1902

Gress, Anthony #2 (1858 - 23 MAY 1902)

Anthony Gress was drowned in Black River last Friday at about 6 p.m., in the same place where B.E. Luethe was drowned May 4th, and in the same manner. He was tipped out of a boat used as a ferry, and the flood was so high and the torrent of water and logs so rapid that he was sucked under and lost. His home being north of the river, he had been in the habit of passing to and fro by means of the ferry since the Grand Avenue bridge was swept away over a year ago. On Friday he had come over to town to get a check cashed and buy some groceries, and was crossing in the larger of the two boats with the groceries, accompanied by Nick Sherrer, when a log struck the boat and broke the ring that the ferry line ran through. This set the boat free. Gress made a grab for the line and both occupants were tipped out of the boat. Young Sherrer clung to the line and got to shore. Gress tried to swim, but the flood was too strong for him.

Willie Gress, an adopted son, had crossed in the smaller boat a moment before, and saw the accident to the others. He bravely jumped into the small boat and went back to rescue his father, whom he saw go down twice, but failed to see again. His frail craft was soon swept from under him, and Willie was compelled to swim for his life. He got to the south side of the stream, as did Sherrer, and was put into dry clothes and driven home around by the Hewett bridge, the Sherrer boy going home later by the same road, afoot, in his wet clothes. The boats were swept down stream, one being recovered later. Nothing was seen of Mr. Gress, whose body will be found down stream, most probably, the same as Mr. Luethe’s and other have been.

It is a singular coincidence that two citizens have been drowned at the same point, and in a way so nearly identical. In each instance the attempt to cross was ill-advised and hazardous in the extreme.

Mr. Gress was 42 years old, and leaves the wife and two sons, Sherman, and the adopted son, Willie, and a sister, now residing in Alaska. He carried $1000 insurance in the Woodmen Lodge. He had been engaged in the city and neighborhood for years as a house mover, and a few years ago moved to Minneapolis, where he worked as a street car conductor for some time, returning here later. He was a hard working man, full of energy and grit, and cheerfully tackled jobs that would have stumped many men.



© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.


Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.


Become a Clark County History Buff


Report Broken Links

A site created and maintained by the Clark County History Buffs
and supported by your generous donations.


Webmasters: Leon Konieczny, Tanya Paschke,

Janet & Stan Schwarze, James W. Sternitzky,

Crystal Wendt & Al Wessel