BioM: Smart, Mary Belle (1956)
Surnames: Smart, Reckner, Cross, Nelsen, Schall, Giese, Smith, Forbish
----Source: Colby Phonograph (Colby, Clark County, Wis.) 02/09/1956
Smart, Mary Belle (Marriage - 4 Feb. 1956)
Mary Belle Smart, daughter of Charles Smart of Colby, became the bride of Merton E. Reckner, son of Mr. and Mrs. Albert Reckner of Stratford, at a ceremony performed in the Methodist church in Colby Saturday afternoon by Rev. Harvey Schall. C. A. Nelsen sang "The Wedding Prayer" and "This Hallowed Hour" accompanied by Mrs. J. F. Cross.
For her wedding outfit, the bride chose a dark blue suit with pink accessories. Pink was used again in the corsage of roses and white carnations which she wore at the shoulderline.
Pink was also the accessory color for her attendants - Miss Lorinda Giese of Edgar, maid of honor, and Mrs. James Smith of Wisconsin Rapids, the bridegroom’s sister, who was bridesmaid. They were dressed in dark blue and light blue suits, and their corsages respectively were clusters of red roses with white carnations and pink roses with white carnations.
The bride’s brother, Grant Smart, was Mr. Reckner’s best man, and a brother-in-law, James Smith, served as groomsman. Ushers were Virgil Reckner of Stratford, the bridegroom’s cousin, and Tom Forbish of Colby, Wis.
After the wedding, supper was served in the church parlors, and a dance was held at the Riverview Ballroom to climax the day’s activities. Guests came from Wisconsin Rapids, Madison, Edgar, Spencer, Stratford, Abbotsford, Wausau, Marshfield, Unity and Colby and Minnesota points.
The groom is working at the Dairy Belt Cheese and Butter Co. at Spencer. He is a graduate of the Unity High School and his bride is a graduate of Colby High School. When they return from their honeymoon in the Southwest, they will make their home with the bride’s father, Charles Smart.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs