News: Colby, Wis. (May 13, 1885)
Contact: R. Lipprandt
Surnames: Bickmore, Henderson, Petrie, Whitmore
----Source: Colby Phonograph (Colby, Clark County, Wis.) Wednesday, May 13, 2008
On Monday night a bright light illuminated the southern heavens and it was determined that a fire was raging in Unity.
A number of Colbyites made trip down there and arrived just as the danger was over and in time to see a few burning embers, the remains of the residences of G. W. Henderson and M. Bickmore. The fire was a fierce one, while it lasted, and came near taking the house of Adam Petrie, which was saved only by the heroic efforts of the citizens and the lucky find of a mud-hole containing four or five pails of water.
About 9:15 Monday evening a fire destroyed the residences of Moses Bickmore and G. W. Henderson. The fire was first discovered in the attic near the chimney of M. Bickmore’s building, but the flames had got too much of a start to control them, consequently both buildings were burned to the ground.
The household goods of both parties were saved. Mr. Bickmore had rented the building to Mr. Whitmore for a term of 2 years at $75.00 per year and had all his goods moved last Saturday except a stove and bed which he used till he was settled at his other residence.
He built a fire in the stove to warm the room up a little in the evening and left it while he carried some furniture to his new home and before he got back the building was all a blaze on the inside. Bickmore’s insurance was $250 on the house. Loss between $400 and $500. Henderson’s insurance was $200 on the house and $150 on furniture.
Go to the roller rink, Saturday.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs