Bio: Pickett, Samuel
Surnames: Pickett, Cross
----Source: Spencer Centennial Book, 1874 - 1974 (Spencer, Marathon County, Wis.) page 13
In 1871 Samuel Pickett brought his family here from Hartford, Wisconsin and homesteaded a tract of land in the Town of Unity, north and west of Spencer, now often referred to as the Gene Cross farm.
The next year (1872) he bought a nearby tract of land for his oldest son, Frank M., now known as the Pickett farm.
Here young Frank began to clear the land and start the making of a farm and home. It was here that he brought his bride, Sarah, and they continued to work and improve their farm and rear a family. In 1902 F. M. erected a three story brick house with 11 gables which has become a land mark in this area.
Later Mr. and Mrs. Samuel Pickett sold their farm and spent their declining years with their son and family. A son, Earl, married and brought his wife, Tessie, to the farm home where they remained to operate the farm which they acquired at the death of F. M. Pickett.
Throughout his active years, F. M. Pickett found time to serve his community as a member of the school board and as town chairman for many years. He also served as County supervisor and Chairman of that board.
The farm is now owned by Mr. and Mrs. (Sylvia) Jack Pickett, They keep 28 milk cows and 30 heifers on their 320 acres.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs