Obit: Short, George #2 (1841 - 1908)
Surnames: Short, Kershaw, Bue, Meddaugh
----Source: NEILLSVILLE TIMES (Neillsville, Clark County, Wis.) 08/06/1908
Short, George #2 (7 JAN 1841 - 2 AUG 1908)
Sunday night another life of usefulness and beneficence was closed when George Short passed away at his home at Shortville (Clark Co., Wis.). For thirty-six years Mr. Short has been one of the prominent men of the county, identified with its progress and growth and the influence of his kindly nature has been felt in many quarters. Mr. Short spent his early years in St. Lawrence Co., N.Y., where he was born Jan. 7, 1841. When a small child he came with his parents to Jefferson County, Wis. He, together with his two brothers and a cousin, enlisted in the Civil War and the brothers served to the close of the war, the cousin and comrade, however, meeting death on the field of battle.
About this time the thoughts of a home and fireside of his own assailed the mind of the young man, and the love of the stalwart youth settled upon Alice Kershaw, to whom he was married on March 15, 1870, at Whitewater, Wis. Thirty-six years ago Mr. Short and wife came to Clark County to establish and build a home, and succeeded beyond the fairest hope of happiness, peace and comfort. Mr. Short’s life has been a busy and enterprising one, progressive and upright, and lived in the fear of a Supreme Being which will make its higher reward a happy one, and the memory it occasions one of peace and good will toward man. Two daughters, Mrs. Geo. Bue and Mrs. Wm. Meddaugh, remain to comfort his companion of many years. Four brothers, James, Andrew, and John, and William of Ft. Atkinson, and eight grandchildren also survive him.
The funeral was held yesterday morning at 10 o’clock at the church, Rev. w. T. Hendren officiating. Interment was made in the cemetery of this city.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs