Bio: Sleater, Harry (Collision - 1953)
Contact: Dolores Mohr Kenyon
Surnames: Sleater, Grant, Miller, Schmidt,
Frantz, Struble, Lyons, Eisentraut, Huckstead, Quicker,
----Source: Clark County Press (Neillsville,
Clark Co., WI.) July 16, 1953
Harry Sleater (Collision - 9 July
Death rode in a two-door car on Thursday, July 9,
when two automobiles were in collision on the Granton hill.
The new Buick, driven by Harry Sleater, was a two-door car.
Mr. and Mrs. Sleater were in front, Mrs. Sleater’s parents in
the rear. As always with a two-door car, the front seats were
hinged. The impact hurled the Grants against the front seats, which
flew forward on their hinges, adding to the violence with which Mr.
and Mrs. Sleater were hurled against the steering wheel and the
This is believed to account, in whole or part,
for the fact that the more serious injuries were received by the
four persons in the Buick. Mrs. Sleater was killed. Mr.
Sleater suffered a broken jaw and broken left leg, together with
cuts and bruises.
This situation will presumably be developed when
a coroner’s jury seeks to untangle the uncertainties
surrounding the fatal crash near Granton on Thursday, July 9.
A jury was promptly impaneled, and its members visited the scene.
Adjournment was then taken, awaiting the improvement in condition
of the survivors.
Except for Mrs. Harry Sleater of Eau Claire, who
was killed instantly, there has been relatively rapid improvement.
Of the eight persons involved, the Sleaters were the most
unfortunate. Mr. Sleater is in the Luther Hospital in Eau
Claire, with a broken jaw, and a broken left leg. He is
expected to make a good recovery.
With the Sleaters were Mrs. Sleater’s
parents, Mr. and Mrs. Peter Grant of Peoria, Ill. Both were
hospitalized, but the injuries of Mrs. Grant were not
serious. Mr. Grant however had had a heart attack recently,
was ill prepared to endure the shock of the collision, but is
making a good recovery.
The Left Lane -
Sleaters were in a 1953 Buick and were driving to Marshfield.
As they broke over the crest of he hill just before the junction of
US-10 and County Trunk K, their car straddled the middle line of
the pavement, and the left wheels continued to the left of the
middle line, until the Buick was in head-on collision with a Hudson
car, which was just completing the Maple Works curve on U. S.
Hudson was driven by Joseph Miller of Milwaukee, who was thought at
first to have suffered serious injury, but was presently released,
with injuries no more serious tan broken toes. With him were
his wife, 39, who is in St. Joseph’s Hospital, Marshfield,
with a broken pelvis; Mrs. Raymond H. Schmidt of Marshfield, who is
in St. Joseph’s Hospital with cuts and bruises; and Mrs.
Schmidt’s little daughter, Mary Louise 5, whose injury was a
sprained ankle, and who was soon released from the hospital.
in Left Lane?
testimony before the coroner’s jury may shed some light on
the reason, or lack of it, for the Sleater car to have been
occupying part of the left lane. Both drivers were familiar
with the road. As officers were at work at the scene the next
day, they noted that other cars, breaking over the hill, also
veered to the left. This occasioned further study of the location,
and it was noted that the sign of the curve was of ordinary
dimensions and is under a tree, being thus somewhat
inconspicuous. Also it is noted that the crest of the hill
comes a very short distance from the junction of K and U. S. 10,
with K looming straight ahead as an inviting piece of
After sizing up the location, Traffic Officer
Harry Frantz concluded the curve was not properly marked. He made a
recommendation that a conspicuous sign of a more impressive nature
be installed in a more conspicuous location.
The coroner’s jury consists of Delbert Struble, Jud Lyons, Alvin Eisentraut, Harold Huckstead, Hubert Quicker and Albert Marg.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs