Obit: Anderson, Elmer F. (1893 - 1958)


Contact: Dolores Mohr Kenyon


Surnames: Anderson, Nast, Raufman, Luth, Thomas, Williams, Bentley, Lange, Schwanke, Leach, Holum, Torgerson, Garlie, Ness, Larsen, Bartz, Eibergen, Lavey, Naedler, Schmidtke, Martens, Hughes, Drescher, Mortimer, Hug, Cattanach, Strey, Domine, Allen, Harvey, Holt, Jordahl, Schoengarth, Van Gorden, Fradette, Devos, Guthmiller 

----Source: Clark County Press (Neillsville, Clark Co., WI.) July 17, 1958 

Anderson, Elmer F (22 October 1893 - 9 July 1958) 

Funeral Services for Elmer F. Anderson, 64, former Clark County board chairman and highway commissioner, will be held at 2 p.m. Friday from the Masonic Temple in Neillsville. 

The Rev. Albert Guthmiller, pastor of the Zion Evangelical and Reformed Church here, will give a service, and Masonic rites will be performed.  Burial will be made in the Windfall Cemetery, Granton.  Mr. Anderson died at 4:30 a.m. Wednesday in his sleep at his home on Oak Street.  He had been in failing health for four years, during which he suffered several heart attacks. 

For 10 yeas he served as chairman of the Town of York.  During that time he was elected chairman of the county board of supervisors for eight consecutive years.  Following this service he was elected county highway commissioner, a position he filled for three years.  He also served as clerk of the Romadka School district in the Town of York for 12 years. 

Born October 22, 1893, in Dodgeville, Mr. Anderson was the son of immigrant parents, Ole and Georgina Anderson, who came to America from Norway.  The family later moved to Clark County settling on a farm a mile east of Greenwood.  There Mr. Anderson had the late James H. Fradette as one of his early teachers.  Mr. Anderson later served on the county board, and as chairman of that body, while Mr. Fradette was serving as county treasurer. 

A few years later the family moved to Fond du Lac, where he was graduated from high school. 

On June 22, 1916, he was married to Miss Katherine L. Nast in Marblehead. He was then employed on the railroad.  In 1918 they moved onto a 280 acre farm in the Town of York, three miles north of Granton.  The farm remains in the Anderson family, with a son, David, operating it.  At the time they moved there, the farm had but 10 acres of land under cultivation. 

They remained on the farm until 1946, when they purchased a house at 217 Oak Street and moved into Neillsville. 

Mr. Anderson was a member of the First Congregational Church, Neillsville; a member of the Blue Lodge and Commandery in Neillsville, and of the Eau Claire Consistory and Zor Shrine, Madison. 

Surviving besides his wife are three sons: David of Granton, George of Eau Claire, and Charles of La Crosse. The latter two are connected with the state highway department.  A daughter, Catherine, preceded her father in death. 

Other survivors include a brother, George, of Nekoosa; a sister, Mrs. August (Stella) Raufman of Nekoosa; and a sister, Mrs. Carl (Nora) Luth, of Appleton. 

----Source: Clark County Press (Neillsville, Clark Co., WI.) July 24, 1958 

Funeral services for Elmer F. Anderson were held Friday afternoon from the Masonic Temple, with the Rev. Albert Guthmiller, pastor of the Zion Evangelical and Reformed Church, officiating.  Masonic rites were conducted by A. L. Devos.  Burial was made in the Windfall Cemetery, Granton. 

Pallbearers were: W. H. Allen, Robert Harvey, Albert Holt, James Jordahl, Lowell Schoengarth and heron Van Gorden. 

People from away attending were: Mr. and Mrs. David Anderson and family, Granton; Mr. and Mrs. George Anderson and family, Eau Claire; Mr. and Mrs. Charles Anderson and family, La Crosse; George Anderson, Mr. and Mrs. August Raufman, Nekoosa; Mr. and Mrs. Carl Luth, Appleton; Charles Anderson, Mr. and Mrs. Everett Thomas, Mrs. Reynold Williams, Willie Thomas, Mr. and Mrs. Bennie Thomas, Dodgeville; Mr. and Mrs. Douglas Bentley, Nekoosa; Mrs. Delia Lange and Harvey Lange, Auburndale; Frank Schwanke and Erwin Leach, Loyal; E. M. Holum, C. E. Torgerson, H. N. Garlie and Roger Ness, Eau Claire; Mrs. Elwyn Larsen, Janesville; Mrs. Fred Bartz, Mr. and Mrs. William Eibergen, Mrs. Glenn Lavey, Mr. and Mrs. William Naedler, Sr., Mrs. Otto Schmidtke, Mr. and Mrs. Elmer Martens, Mr. and Mrs. Donald Hughes, Mrs. Daniel Drescher, Mr. and Mrs. Vernon Drescher, Mr. and Mrs. Ray Mortimer, and Mr. and Mrs. Lawrence Bartz, all of Granton; F. W. Hug, Loyal; Mr. and Mrs. R. W. Cattanach, Owen; Mr. and Mrs. Robert Strey and Mrs. Manual Domine, Mr. and Mrs. Victory Strey, and Mr. and Mrs. Raymond Strey, Loyal. 



© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.


Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.


Become a Clark County History Buff


Report Broken Links

A site created and maintained by the Clark County History Buffs
and supported by your generous donations.


Webmasters: Leon Konieczny, Tanya Paschke,

Janet & Stan Schwarze, James W. Sternitzky,

Crystal Wendt & Al Wessel