News: Levis - Historic House Burns (9 May 1928)
Contact: Dolores Mohr Kenyon
Surnames: Embke, French, Gehrt
----Source: Neillsville Press (Neillsville, Clark Co., WI.) May 17, 1928
Historic House Burns (9 May 1928)
Last Wednesday forenoon the house occupied by Mr. and Mrs. Herman Embke on what used to be known as the "Doc French Farm" in Levis was burned to the ground. The fire started on the roof and was discovered by Wm. Gehrt before it had made much headway. Others came at once and the house might have been saved if a ladder had been at hand so that the men could have got up on the roof but before a ladder could be obtained, the fire was beyond control. Practically all of Mr. and Mrs. Embke’s household goods were saved. For the present they are staying at the home of Mr. and Mrs. R. B. French.
The house belonged to the Mississippi Valley Co., successors to the La Crosse Water and Power Co., who took over the place in securing flowage rights for Dells Dam. The house stood on the site of the historic Dr. French house, one of the earliest homes on the banks of Black River in this locality. The old house was destroyed and this housed was built by Ed. French about 35 years ago.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs