News: Clark County, Wis. (14 Feb 1903)
Contact: Laurel Bragstad
----Source: Greenwood Gleaner (Greenwood, Clark County, WI) 2/14/1902
Clark County, Wisconsin
Clark county lies practically half way between the equator and the north pole, the north line of the county reaches almost to the forty-fifth parallel of latitude. It consists of thirty-four congressional townships, being seven townships long by five wide, with the south-western township set out into Jackson county. Clark county contains 1224 square miles. With the new town of Dewhurst which will be duly organized in the spring, there are thirty towns in the county. The incorporated cities are Neillsville, Greenwood and Colby. Half of Colby however lies in Marathon county. The incorporated villages are Abbotsford, Loyal, Thorp, Withee and Dorchester.
In 1890 this county had a population of 17,708; in 1895, 21,342; in 1900, 25,848, an increase of 8,14 or 46 per cent in ten years. Clark county never has had a boom but its growth has been steady and substantial. It has from the first been a wealth producing region. For many years Black river and other streams floated out thousands of dollars worth of white pine cut on their banks and along their tributaries. Later the hardwood has contributed its thousands and has really contributed more to Clark county’s wealth than the pine, for more of it has remained here. Even yet, the timber products of this county are something enormous in the aggregate, nearly every farmer adding something to his income from this source; but it is gradually diminishing, and the farm and stock products are increasing.
Creameries and cheese factories are replacing the saw mills and logging camps. Still there is room for a vast multitude more. Clark county is still an infant, though a pretty lusty one. — Rep. and Press.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs