Church: Greenwood, Christie & Withee Methodist (New Pastor - 1960)
Contact:Dolores Mohr Kenyon
Surnames: Carlson, Nulton
----Source: Clark County Press (Neillsville, Clark Co., WI.) June 30, 1960
Greenwood, Christie & Withee Methodist (New Pastor - 1960)
The Rev. Gene W. Carlson had charge of the service and preached his initial sermons at Greenwood, Christie and Withee Methodist churches last Sunday. He succeeds the Rev. Ethel Nulton. The Withee Church, formerly a part of the Stanley-Thorp parish, is now a part of the Greenwood-Christie circuit.
The Rev. Mr. Carlson, his wife and two children, Denise, nine, and David seven, are located in the parsonage at Greenwood.
Mr. Carlson was born in Ashland and was graduated from Ashland High School and Northland College. He entered Gerrett Biblical Institute in Evanston, Ill., and later transferred to Dubuque Theological Seminary at Dubuque, Ia., from which he was graduated in 1956.
During his theological training he served pastorates in Edmond and Fairdale, Ill., and in Viola. In 1956, he accepted the pastorate of the Methodist circuit at Jim Falls, where he remained until last week. Mrs. Carlson was raised at Washburn in northern Wisconsin. Mr. Carlson expressed the hope that morning services may be conducted at Christie, Greenwood and Withee the year round.
Another news article in same issue: Old Circuit Riders had nothing on new county pastor -- The Rev. Gene W. Carlson, a new minister in Clark County, will be as busy as the old-fashioned Methodist circuit rider.
The Withee congregation has been added to the Christie and Greenwood congregations, which the Rev. Ethel Nulton served and he plans to hold services in each of the three churches each Sunday morning.
The "circuit" will extend about 20 ½ miles from Withee to Christie. He will open with services at 8:30 at Withee, follow with 10 a.m. services at Greenwood, and complete the Sunday morning round with an 11:15 service at Christie.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs