BioA: Christofferson Dr. and Mrs. H. H. (Gold - 1949)
Contact: Audrey Roedl
----Source: The Loyal Tribune (Loyal, Clark County, Wis (25 July 1949)
Christofferson, Dr. and Mrs. H. H. (Gold - 26 JUL 1949)
Dr. and Mrs. H. H. Christofferson of Colby observed their golden wedding anniversary with an open house in the Colby high school on Tuesday afternoon and evening, July 26. Dr. Christofferson was born in Waupaca on Mar. 27, 1875, and Mrs. Christofferson was born in Racine on July 5, 1876. They were married at Waupaca on July 26, 1899.
Dr. Christofferson attended the St. Louis university college of medicine and graduated in 1902. He practiced medicine in Loyal from 1902 to 1910 and in Colby from1910 to 1948. For three years, Dr. A. M. Christofferson, now at Waupaca, and Dr. A. L. Schemmer were affiliated with him.
In 1916 Dr. A, M. Christofferson entered the United States service and served his country until the end of World War l, when he moved to Waupaca.
Drs. Christofferson and Schemmer operated the Colby clinic until Dr. Christofferson sold out to Dr. Lehmer. The clinic building was erected by Dr. Christofferson before World War 1.
Besides taking care of a large medical practice at Colby, Dr. Christofferson engaged in many other business enterprises. Together with W. J. Rush of Neillsville and C. H. Brown of Loyal, he owned and operated the Clark County Telephone Company, with exchanges at Loyal, Colby, Abbotsford, Spencer, Unity, Curtiss, Owen and Withee, with the main office in Colby, from 1911 to 1926. The present telephone building was erected by them in 1926.
He was a big stockholder in the Central Canning Company, which was in operation for several years. The factory was sold n 1929, and a few years later it ceased operations. In 1929 Dr. Christofferson purchased a garage in Colby, and in 1930 he bought a filling station, which is now operated by Ted Baumgart. He remodeled the garage and has built an addition on it.
He was made a director of the Colby State bank on Aug. 29, 1933, and was elected its president on Sept. 12, 1946. He is president of and owns a one third interest in the Curtiss-Owen bank. He has been a director and stockholder of the Citizens State Bank of Loyal since it came into existence I 1907 and was made president on Jan. 12, 1942. He has been a director of the Colby high school board of education since 1937.
Dr. Christofferson has also been very active in county and state organizations. He has been physician of the Clark county hospital at Owen since it was erected in 1922; a member of the stare board of medical examiners since 1937, having been appointed by Gonerners Philip F. LaFollette, Julius P. Heil, Walter S. Goodland and Oscar Rennehbohm; a director of the state Medical society since 1937; a member of the executive committee of the society, which is the father of the Wisconsin plan of prepaid medical care; a member of the American Medical association committee, set up for the purpose of evaluating credential of foreign schools.
He is chairman of the committee on mental hygiene and institutional care, which committee has been instrumental for inmates in county asylums.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.