Obit: Lawrence, Melvin W. #2 (1871 - 1955)
Surnames: Lawrence, Gardner, Huntley
----Source: Loyal Tribune (Loyal, Clark Co., Wis.) 10/20/1955
Lawrence, Melvin W. #2 (4 APR 1871 - 14 OCT 1955)
After an illness of only a few days, Melvin W. Lawrence passed away at the Platteville Municipal Hospital, Oct. 14, 1955, at the age of 84 years.
He was born at Plymouth, Wis., April 4, 1871, the son of Mr. and Mrs. Horace Lawrence. The parents were pioneers in the settlement and development around Neillsville. They went from Plymouth to Neillsville in a wagon drawn by oxen. Here the son, Melvin received his education in the public schools and grew to manhood. He had been baptized in infancy and in adult life became a member of the Methodist Church.
In 1895 he was united in marriage to Miss Bertha Gardner of Neillsville. They established their home in York Center, and three children, two sons and a daughter, came to bless their marriage. They were privileged to observe the sixtieth anniversary of their married life.
In 1929 he came to Platteville to make his home with his daughter, Miss Beulah Lawrence, R.N. For a number of years he operated a saw filing shop in Platteville, and was active in following his trade. About four years ago he retired on account of advancing years and failing vision.
He is survived by his wife, one daughter, Miss Beulah Lawrence of Platteville, one son, Louis of East Moline, Ill., four brothers, Roy now living in Oregon, Earl of Missoula, Mont., Orrin of Neillsville, three step-grandchildren. He was preceded in death by one son.
Funeral services were conducted from the Karrmann Funeral Home in Platteville on Sunday evening by the Rev. R.R. Doering, pastor of the First English Evangelical Lutheran Church of that city. The remains were taken to York Center where a service was held in the Methodist Church, with the Rev. Charles J. Swanson officiating. Interment took place in the York Cemetery.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs