News: Curtiss Fire #1 (04 Mar 1931)
Contact: Robert Lipprandt
Surnames: Green, Johnson, Neitzel, Weyerhauser
----Source: The Curtiss Advance (Curtiss, Clark Co., WI) Wednesday, March 4, 1931
CURTISS VISTED BY DISASTROUS FIRE
Flames discovered about 5:30 o’clock Monday morning in the Curtiss Meat Market by George Weyerhauser, an employee, who slept in a room at the rear of the shop caused the destruction of the place and all its contents and the adjoining two story building owned by B. B. Green.
Awaking to find the place ablaze, Weyerhauser succeeded in getting out an sounding the alarm, after which the J. J. Johnson family, living on the first floor of the Green building, and the Emery Neitzel family, with rooms on the second floor of the same structure, were aroused. The Johnson family included five children, and the Neitzels have four.
Practically all of the household goods on the first floor were saved but the Neitzel family lost almost everything except such clothing as they were able to take with them as they fled from the building. They had no insurance. Both families found living quarters elsewhere in the village.
The loss of the two buildings and the stock and equipment is estimated at several thousand dollars, and is partly covered by insurance.
The Dorchester fire department responded to a call for aid, but by the time it arrived, local fire fighters has the situation well in hand and prevented the further spread of the flames.
CARD OF THANKS
We wish to extend our heartfelt thanks to all those who assisted us in any way during the fire Monday morning. The work in helping save our household goods is certainly appreciated.
Mr. and Mrs. Jacob Johnson and Family.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.