News: Granton Locals (01 Dec 1905)


Surnames: Finnegan, Lyons, Davis, Page, Wage, Neinas, Keller, Viergutz, Beaver, Storm, Dankemeyer, Hantke, Braatz, Thompson, Williams, Wonser, Knorr, Baer, Davis, Crocker, McMaster, Sturdevant, Schuelke, Tischer, Lee, Daughhetee, Ide, Slocomb, Howard, Kimball, Paulson, Warsinski, Osgood, Stockwell, Riedel, Marsh, Amidon, Hass, Calkins, Converse, Hubing, Beaver, Blechar, Rausch, Lautenbach, Tucker, Guk, Garbush, Gluch, Moldenhauer, Cook, Yankee, Raymond, Hantke, Braatz, King, Braem, Gereke, Brandt, Mallory, Sifert, Hart, Garfield, Marx


----Source: Granton News (Granton, Clark Co., Wis.)  12/01/1905


Jas. Finnegan was at Marshfield between trains on Monday.


Roy Lyons spent Sunday with relatives at Merrillan.


Miss Addie Davis visited at Neillsville on Monday.


W.W. Page transacted business down the line on Monday.


T.D. Wage transacted business at Neillsville Saturday.


Mr. and Mrs. Wm. Neinas of Sauerkraut City visited friends her last Friday.


The Ladies Aid of the Fremont Lutheran Church met with Mrs. Herm Keller on Wednesday.


Miss Amanda Viergutz returned to Geo. Beavers’ Sunday after a 2 week vacation at home.


Mrs. Aug. Storm of Neillsville spent Sunday here with her sister Mrs. Frank Dankemeyer.


If you are looking for the right kind of furs at the very lowest prices, see what W.J. Marsh Dry Goods Co. is offering.


Ernest Hantke and Henry Braatz returned late last week from their hunting trip.  They had a good time, but no luck hunting.


Mrs. Chas. Neinas and daughter Lydia went to Marshfield Friday and spent a couple of days with friends, returning home Saturday evening.


Miss Carrie Thompson of Marshfield arrived here last Saturday to spend the week and enjoy Thanksgiving with her mother and sister at Romanzo Davis’.


H.E. Williams, "Doc" Wonser, Vet Marsh, A.J. Knorr, W.S. Davis and F.J. Baer spent Thursday eve of last week at Neillsville.


Truman Davis sold his farm team late last week to Hugh McMaster, who shipped them to Dakota.


Frank Crocker went to Chicago Saturday as agent for the stock shippers Kurth & Davis, Williams & Wonser.


Mrs. Elliot Sturdevant came out from Neillsville Saturday and visited at W.S. Davis’ here until Sunday noon.


Henry and August Schuelke left Monday morning for the woods where they expect to go into logging camps for the winter.


Rudolph Viergutz, who for the past 3 years had been in Thief River Falls, Minn., returned home some two weeks ago and last week joined his brother Reinhold in camp at Laona.


W.S. Davis sold his heavy gray team on Saturday for $225 to Wolf & Kersten of Wittenberg, and sent them across country to Marshfield to their new owners on Monday.


Carl Tischer left for Madison early last week, where he expects to spend the winter with relatives, while his mother has rented her farm and removing from there she has taken up her residence with her daughter Louis, Mrs. Price Lee.


J.B. Daughhetee, proprietor of the York Cheese Factory reports that he received in October, 235,394 pounds of milk, from which he made 25,120 pounds of cheese, average test 4 percent.  He paid 28 2/10 cents for butter fat, while the average price for cheese was 12 cents.  C.H. Ide sent 18,365 pounds of 3/8 percent mile and in return received a check for $197.47.


Asa Slocomb and Archie Howard left for some place in Michigan Monday afternoon, where they expect to spend the winter in the woods.  That’s the story the boys told a friend of theirs just as they were taking the train, but they only bought tickets for Marshfield and we wouldn’t be surprised if the boys changed their minds and went into camp in the vicinity of Stratford.


Emma Kimball visited her sister here late last week.


Mrs. A. Paulson came over from Nasonville last Saturday to spend the week among her children here.


Gus Warsinski visited town friends before departing for the west on Monday.


Rella Osgood went to Withee Sunday for a short visit, returning home Monday.


Bernice Stockwell of Marshfield spent Saturday and Sunday here with relatives.


.W.J. Marsh Dry Goods Co. is constantly receiving new coats for ladies, misses and children.  Call and see the new styles.


Aug. Riedel and daughter Emma left for Milwaukee Tuesday evening, going down to spend Thanksgiving with relatives.


Silas Amidon of Melrose who has been here for several weeks visiting his brother Geo. and helping him get settled in his new quarters, has returned home.


The Ladies Aid of the German Lutheran Church over south will meet with Mrs. P.H. Hass next Wednesday afternoon.


Jeff Calkins of Portage was up some 2 weeks ago and visited at Frank Davis’ and other places in that vicinity.  He had his Kodak with him and took the occasion to take snap shots of his old friends and neighbors.


Mr. and Mrs. L. Howard autoed over from Neillsville Thursday evening of last week with Mrs. Frank Converse.  Mrs. Converse reports a delightful week spent between Neillsville and Greenwood relatives; one very enjoyable affair was a trip from Neillsville to Greenwood per auto with her niece Mrs. L.H. Howard, who acted as her own chauffeur.


Mr. and Mrs. Mike Hubing, Mr. and Mrs. Geo. Beaver returned from Cashton yesterday whither they went on Monday to attend the wedding of Mr. and Mrs. Hubing’s son Frank there on Tuesday.  Arthur Blechar and George Hubing of Athens, who were also enroute to the wedding, stopped off here early Monday morning and joined with the Hubing-Beaver party, leaving at 11 a.m.


Dan Rausch went to La Crosse on business last Friday, returning early this week.  When returning he underwent the unpleasant sensation of seeing a railroad accident near Elroy in which a brakeman on a freight train was most horribly mangled and seriously injured, sustaining such injuries as seemed must mean instant death, but at last accounts Dan had of him some several hours later, he was still living and was aboard a passenger train with comrades taking him to a hospital.


Willie Breseman, the 13-year-old son of Mr. and Mrs. Phillip Breseman, in endeavoring to hitch up his uncle Julius Lautenbach’s team Sunday morning slipped and fell, when one of the horses stepped on his left leg, breaking it between the knee and ankle.  The pain was intense and the little fellow lost consciousness at once, his parents then made haste to bring him into town and have Dr. Schwarz set the broken member, since which time the boy has been more comfortable.


A.H. Tucker is confined to his bed with sciatic rheumatism.


Lizzie Guk from here attended the Garbush-Gluch wedding yesterday.


Miss Clara Moldenhauer is reported to be recovering from her recent illness.


Sam Cook transacted business in town Tuesday, brought in a load of cheese for shipment.


Amos and Charley Yankee blew home in Monday night’s storm after a two week hunt in the northern part of the county.  The boys were unsuccessful in securing deer, doing not better than Ernest Hantke and Henry Braatz.


Miss Edna Raymond, who has been so seriously ill with typhoid fever at her home in Christie and who was beginning to recover, suffered a relapse late last week and is again very seriously ill.  Mrs. H.A. King is now assisting in the care of her, Mrs. Ross Paulson and Mrs. King driving up on Sunday and Mrs. King remaining.


Gus Warsinski of Spokane, Wash., who had been at Marshfield on a business trip, stopped off here Saturday evening as he was enroute home and drove out to Phillip Breseman’s.  Mrs. Breseman is a sister-in-law of his, so he planned a little surprise and going to the house, knocked and asked the way and distance to Nasonville.  It being so far and night coming on, he asked for a night’s shelter, one of the boys replying that there would be no room in the barn stable for his horses, but the grandpa’s curiosity was aroused by this time and he asked that a lantern be brought out, when ye traveler was recognized and made most welcome.  Mr. Warsinski remained that night and over Sunday, setting out for home Monday morning.


The Evangelical Lutheran Zion congregation of this place dedicated their beautiful new church home with imposing ceremonies last Sunday.  Rev. Gereke was assisted by Rev. O. Braem of Augusta and Rev. Brandt of Neillsville.  The Neillsville orchestra materially assisted in furnishing the music.  Friday’s hard rain and Saturday’s freeze put the roads in a terrible condition, but not withstanding this fact the crowd in attendance at the dedicatory services and the dinner which latter was served in the old church, was all that either church building could comfortable accommodate.  The dinner was a delightful affair, the waters giving the guests every attention; it was a fine meal and well served.  The dedicatory service beginning at 2:30 p.m., continued until 4 p.m.  The large church was well filed with a happy and interested audience.


Wilson Mallory will preach here at the Union Church the eve of Dec. 7th.


Rev. Sifert will hold services here Sunday afternoon at 3 o’clock in the Union Church.  Everybody is welcome.


Mrs. James Finnegan spent Tuesday afternoon and night at Mat Marx’s in the care of Josie, who though very ill is improving.


Geo. Hart has had gasoline light put into his shop and also his living rooms above.  They afford a nice light which Geo. says beats anything he has had yet.  Bert Garfield of Neillsville put them in.  Then Geo. has added a tread power to his sausage making outfit.



© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.


Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.


Become a Clark County History Buff


Report Broken Links

A site created and maintained by the Clark County History Buffs
and supported by your generous donations.


Webmasters: Leon Konieczny, Tanya Paschke,

Janet & Stan Schwarze, James W. Sternitzky,

Crystal Wendt & Al Wessel