News: Granton News (10 Mar 1911)


Contact: Dolores (Mohr) Kenyon



Surnames: Neinas, Smith, Krause, Schwartz, Deutsch, Wells, Williams, Agin, Paulson, Gotter, Lautenbach, Thiede, Reiff, Osgood, Rose, Bauman, Amidon, Gassow, Hart, Witte, Hall, Sternitzky, Owen, Coil, Marg, Burdick, Beeckler, Riedel, Christman, Witte, Garbisch, Gluch, Dietrich, Knorr, Davis, Budge, Baer, Babcock, Schroeder, Steele, Schmoll, Lustig, Imig, Reichert, Sparks, Pickering, Downer, Wright, Wonser, Burdick, Worchel, Dudei, Rausch, Page, Fradette, Heyder, Dankemyer, Bender, Galbreath, Ross, Teatz, Albrecht, Hollenbach, Kuechenmeister, Braatz, Fischer, Feltzer, Brown, Servaty, Ebbe


----Source: The Granton News (Granton, Clark Co., WI.) March 10, 1911


Granton News (10 March 1911)


Chas Neinas transacted business in Marshfield Monday.


Miss Marion Smith was a Neillsville visitor on Tuesday.


Lydia Krause went to Neillsville Tuesday.


Mrs. Wm. Schwartz of Loyal visited Mrs. Chas Neinas on Saturday.


Gust Deutsch and Prof. Wells Sundayed at Neillsville


Mrs. Geo. Williams has been seriously ill since Sunday.


The stock buyers will ship calves from here next Tuesday.


Mr. and Mrs. H. S. Agin were Neillsville callers Saturday.


Mrs. Ross Paulson entertained the Circle Wednesday.


Ferdinand Gotter and Theresa Lautenbach went to Altoona Sunday.


Mrs. Thiede entertained the Ladies Aid of Rev. Reiff’s parish on Wednesday.


A daughter weighing a little more than nine pounds was presented Mr. and Mrs. Mot Osgood Sunday.


W. D. Rose after a several days visit at Plymouth returned home Monday evening.


Mrs. Geo. Bauman of Marshfield was an over Sunday guest at Chas Neinas’, her brother.


If you want an alarm clock get a "Cyclone"; nothing like it!  Will awaken anybody; see them at Amidon’s Drug Store


Mrs. Gassow of Whitehall after a several months visit among friends in Town of Lynn left for home on Tuesday.


Chas. Hart after a two months visit at his son Norman’s in Humbird returned here Friday and is now at his son Fred’s.


Special prices on all dried fruits now at Witte’s


The Don C. Hall Company will show at the Granton Opera House every night next week.


Albert Sternitzky’s birthday was the excuse for a delightful party at their house last Sunday.


Mrs. Owen came over from Marshfield Tuesday on a visit  to her daughter, Mrs. Walter Coil.


Henry Marg is vacating the Burdick house for rooms in the C. E. Beeckler home.


Adolph Riedel went to Marshfield Monday on a weeks visit to his sister.


A new baby boy arrived at Willard Christman’s Friday night; mother and baby doing nicely.


Henry Garbisch and Dan Gluch, Jr. made a business trip to Plymouth with W. D. Rose last week.


Fred Dietrich of Boise, Idaho, is visiting relatives in this vicinity since last week.


The Mesdames A. J. Knorr, W. S. Davis, Geo. Budge and F. J. Baer spent Tuesday evening with friends at Neillsville.


George Budge came down from Minneapolis Sunday and was joined here the next day by his wife on a week’s visit at the W. S. Davis home.


Mr. and Mrs. Chas Babcock of Neillsville have been here much of this week helping the Ed Schroeder family move and settle in.


Mrs. Thomas Steele was over from Neillsville Sunday to visit Mrs. August Schmoll and attend the funeral of the late Otto Lustig.


Mrs. Hattie Imig whose home is in Michigan, came over from Marshfield where she was visiting relatives, last Friday and spent a day with Mrs. Amelia Reichert.


Miss Mindwell Sparks went to Minneapolis Saturday where she joined her cousin Earl Pickering and continued with him on his homeward trip to Fairview, Montana.


Cranberries 6c a quart at Witte’s


Mrs. Neil Downer is reported to be very ill.


The Fred Wright family, have been entertaining the grippe the past week.


E.R. Wonser went to Unity last Friday and made an over Sunday visit among relatives.


Mr. and Mrs. W. D. Rose have rented the Frances Burdick house and will take possession about April 1st.


Miss Lydia Worchel and her mother Mrs. Ben Dudei came home from Eau Claire last Friday, Mrs. Dudei much improved in health and able to be up and about the house.


The Sunshine sociable given by Mrs. Rausch and her aides last Saturday night at the opera house proved a delightfully successful affair.


Milton Page left Saturday morning for Milwaukee where he has entered a school for automobile repairers.


The Knorr-Rausch Hardware Co., expect a carload of Ford automobiles to arrive here in the near future.


Herbert Fradette of Christie purchased 80 acres of the Paul Heyder farm 3 miles west of Granton, while Truman Davis bought the remaining 40 acres.


August Dankemyer of Chili transacted business here Monday.  He reports Mrs. Dankemyer as being very ill with inflammatory rheumatism.


Loag Bender and John Galbreath left Monday morning on a trip which will take them to points in Missouri, Oklahoma, Nebraska and Dakota, in search of a suitable location.


J. A. Ross returned from the Marshfield hospital last Saturday where he had undergone a surgical operation on his right leg.  He will spend some time here with his brother P. M., before returning to his home in Canada.


Robert Teatz bought the old W.W. Warner farm and taking possession Saturday he vacated the Davis place. Ed Coil took the Davis place and vacating his town home; Ed. Schroeder moved into the Coil home.  All these moves took place last Saturday.


Henry Albrecht sold his 50 acre Town of Lynn farm, though he remains in possession of same until next Nov., when he intends to vacate and move onto his other place known as the Hoopel place.


Gustave Deutsch informs us of the death of Mrs. Geo. W. Smith a former well known resident of the Town of York, which occurred at her home in Plaza, N .D., late last week as per a letter which he received from his brother, Ferdinand, a close neighbor of the Smith’s.


Mrs. Geo. Hollenbach came home Monday evening from Marshfield whither she had been on a visit to her husband who is ill in the hospital of that city.  She reports the operation for rupture to have been successful, but that he is now suffering with pneumonia which gives the case a more serious aspect.


Clemens Kuechenmeister met with a very painful and somewhat serious accident last Friday while sharpening a fence post which slipped off the block upon which he had it elevated, and pierced his foot, cutting through the shoe, rubber and sock it passed quite through the foot.  He now hobbles about the house using a chair much as one would use a crutch.


Mrs. Richard Braatz who for some time past has been with her daughter, Mrs. Henry Fischer at Sioux City, Ia., reports that she is grandma to a fine boy which arrived there this last week.


Paul Feltzer who is employed in Lautenbach’s mill met with a painful accident last Tuesday noon while doing some babbitting about the machinery.  He has some of the solder left in the ladle which he attempted to pour on a green slab. The moment the molten metal came in contact with the wet board it splattered in all directions, some of it striking him in the face, one chunk piercing his right eye, the sight of which will probably be destroyed.


We are informed that Mrs. Laura Brown and Mrs. Henry Williams are again in possession of their jewelry, which before their departure here was reported to have been stolen and which at that time had caused considerable commotion.  It seems that the jewelry had been packed away in an old bureau.  This is good news to their many friends and a welcome relief to those who were wrongfully accused of stealing same.


It will interest many people to learn that Miss Julie Servaty, who formerly was an assistant in the County Normal in this place, is a candidate for the office of County Superintendent of Schools in Clark County.  If Miss Servaty is elected and brings to her work the energy, knowledge and teaching ability which she displayed in her work here she should certainly make a most admirable superintendent. - New London Press


We had an editorial dream the other evening.  Thought we went down to the post office one morning to get the mail and found our box full of letters—chock full - and a note from the postmaster asking us to call for more letters - too many for the box. And, what do you think, when we began to open those letters we found that every one of them contained a check or a money order and every one of them started out: "I believe my subscription is out and I enclose", etc.  and all day long we were kept busy making proper credits on our books and making our receipts - and wearing the smile that cometh not off.  And the next morning, fellows who had not mailed remittances began to come in and plank down the coin - my, what music all day long!  They just kept a-coming.  The assault on our delinquent list was something terrible, but we never flinched.  We stood our ground, determined that we should see the thing through, even if it brought every name on the list up to date or even put them in advance.  Took nerve to stand such a financial onslaught, but we stood it all right. And when the cannonading was over, we couldn’t have found a single name on the whole list to which we could send a "statement".  It was an awful dream!  Makes us shudder yet!  But if such a terrible thing should come true there is no better time than right now for it to happen. So if you want to test our nerve, sail in.


Auction Sale at the Paul Heyder farm, three miles west of Granton, on Saturday, March 11, 1911, Ross Paulson proprietor with Wm. Ebbe, Auctioneer



© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.


Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.


Become a Clark County History Buff


Report Broken Links

A site created and maintained by the Clark County History Buffs
and supported by your generous donations.


Webmasters: Leon Konieczny, Tanya Paschke,

Janet & Stan Schwarze, James W. Sternitzky,

Crystal Wendt & Al Wessel