News: South Lynn - Skeeter Park (7 Mar 1913)


Surnames: Smith, Bentz, Deegan, Krause, Riedel, Moldenhauer, Fraser, Porath, Wood, Walters, Ebeu, Crandall, Hart, Riedel, Beaver, Osgood, Vincent, Felser, Neinas


----Source: Granton News (Granton, Clark Co., Wis.)  03/07/1913


Please excuse our non-appearance of last week.  We had another slight altercation with our wife and came off second best.


Raymond Smith visited Alfred Bentz Sunday visited Alfred Bentz Sunday.


Geo. Deegan hauled sand one day last week.


Mrs. August Krause and Mrs. Emil Riedel were Granton callers on Monday.


Urban Smith spent Saturday with Alfred Moldenhauer.


Mrs. Clara Moldenhauer is on the sick list again this week.


Mrs. B.F. Fraser visited with Mrs. Porath one day last week.


Frank Wood attended the band concert at Chili Saturday night.  He reports that everybody had a good time.


One of Emil Krause’s horses was sick the latter part of last week.  It has since recovered, however.


Walter Moldenhauer has stopped sawing again and has moved to Anton Ebeu’s near Chili.  Part of his crew accompanied him.


Someone had the nerve to enter the woodshed of Walter Moldenhauer and carry off a quarter of beef that was hanging inside.  Apparently the party who took the meat out from under the tub on the front porch a month or two ago, liked it so well that they came back for more.  Walter has loaded up the old shotgun and declares that he will prove the truth of the old adage "Three times and out."


Here is a clipping from one of the dailies which shows that not all women are cowards - Aurora, Ill, Feb. 27.  While 100 society women stood on chairs with their skirts and voices uplifted, Mrs. Walters chased a mouse in the room, captured it with her bare hand and threw it out the window.


The Granton brass band arrived in Chili in three sections last Saturday, those who came on the 2 o’clock train, those who drove out and those who waited for the freight.  The concert began at 8:45 and a fairly large crowd was present.  Enough stayed for the dance that the floor was crowded.  The dance continued until 3 o’clock, at which time the Granton crowd, consisting of about 45 or 50 persons adjourned to the depot.  Mr. Crandall gained access to the telegraph and learned that the train would be at least 4 hours late.  He and Leland Davis immediately started out for Granton along the track.  The depot being crowded to its utmost capacity there hardly being room for standing, some of the crowd left for the hall where they held another concert.  Those in both places, after assuming comfortable positions tried to go to sleep.  Everything was soon quiet except for the snores of Butch Hart and Albert Riedel.  Everyone slept well except Geo. Beaver who complained that the pillow wouldn’t lay still and that there were bed bugs in the bed.  Everyone was awakened about 6:30 by a base horn solo, performed by Myron Osgood, who had just arrived from the hall where he reported everyone well and happy except Prof. Vincent experienced an attack of appendicitis during the night.  The rest of the morning was spent very pleasantly in listening to a few German songs rendered by the Messrs. Beaver, Neinas and Felser.  The train arrived at 9 and carried a tired and hungry bunch home.



© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.


Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.


Become a Clark County History Buff


Report Broken Links

A site created and maintained by the Clark County History Buffs
and supported by your generous donations.


Webmasters: Leon Konieczny, Tanya Paschke,

Janet & Stan Schwarze, James W. Sternitzky,

Crystal Wendt & Al Wessel