News: Granton Locals (14 Jul 1911)


Contact: Dolores (Mohr) Kenyon



Surnames: Neinas, Brooks, Wage, Sparks, Schlinsog, Guth, Martin, Chapel, Kurzrok, Rinehart, Bergemann, Speaker, Prange, Davis, Hart, Marsh, Kimball, Burdick, Hefty, Wright, Riedel, Hankey, Mooney, Snyder, Preston, Smith, Holmes, Stewart, Breed, Glidden, Witte, Tompkins, Huff, Paulson, Beil, Schoengarth, Rath, Knorr, Rausch, Kemmeter, Bentley, Shaw, Beeckler, Fanning, Ayers, Eggins, Daley, Howard, Lastofka, Wonser, Arndt, Morris, Holmes, Ober, Phare, Campbell, Williams, Eisenhart, Bachman, Shaw, Paulson, Stanton,


----Source: The Granton News (Granton, Clark Co., WI.) July 14, 1911


Granton Locals (14 July 1911)


Miss Emma Neinas went to Beloit, Tuesday.


Geo. Brooks enjoyed dental work at Neillsville Tuesday.


Tom Wage transacted business at Marshfield Tuesday.


Mr. and Mrs. John Sparks of Sherwood did shipping here, Tuesday.


Mrs. H. F. Schlinsog and Mrs. C. A. Guth spent last Friday at Neillsville.


A ten pound boy was born to Mr. and Mrs. J. A. Martin last Friday.


Mrs. Chas Chapel of Marshfield is here since Sunday, for an indefinite stay with her parents.


Miss Flora Kurzrok came home last Saturday from the Marshfield hospital.


Mr. and Mrs. Will Rinehart and baby Delbert spent Sunday with his parents in Shortville.


Gustave Bergeman and family went to Fenwood Saturday and made an over Sunday visit.


Mrs. Speaker of Sheboygan County is here visiting her daughter, Mrs. E. D. Prange.


Fred Davis will ship calves and cattle from here nest Monday morning.


Messrs George and Fred Hart and their families in their respective autos went to Marshfield and back Sunday evening.


Miss Jennie Hart of Humbird after a several days visit here with relatives, returned home last Saturday.


Miss Gertrude Kimball went to Merrill Tuesday on a week’s visit among friends.


Mrs. Frances Burdick is again at her home in Seymour after a two months absence in York State.


Mrs. John Hefty of Chili stopped here Wednesday on her way to Neillsville.


It’s wonderful what 9c will do at W. J. Marsh Dry Goods Co. 9c sale.


L. A. Marsh and John Wright spend Wednesday evening at Neillsville.


Ed Riedel and family moved from Granton this week to the Wm. Hankey place in Lynn.


Our boys defeated East York by a score of 16 to 2 in a ballgame which was played here in the K. Davis field Sunday afternoon.


John Mooney moved a traction engine over to Marshfield Wednesday and returned by train that day.


Mrs. August Snyder and mother-in-law Mrs. Snyder were over from Neillsville and spent Tuesday afternoon with friends.


Miss Ella Preston of Milwaukee and Mrs. Jerome Smith of Spring Valley are visiting at Frank Preston’s since last week.


Mrs. H. B. Holmes entertained the Circle Wednesday afternoon.


The Kurzrok porch is being screened and made into a comfortable sleeping apartment for Miss Flora’s use.


Mrs. Delia Stewart of Chili came over last week Thursday and remained until Monday afternoon visiting her sister, Mrs. Gusta Breed.


Mrs. Cornelia Glidden went to Nasonville late last week where she has accepted the position of housekeeper in a private family.


A son of Fred Hankey broke his left leg last week Friday while playing in the barn with other boys.


Creamery butter and fancy dairy butter is at Witte’s


Mrs. Joseph Marsh of Marshfield visited relatives here Monday and left for Neillsville on the afternoon train to call on relatives at that place.


Frank Tompkins has gone into the moving picture show business and left with his tent and outfit for Cumberland, Wis., early this week, where he expects to remain a month or more.


Geo Huff after an absence of about 11 years returned from the west on Monday to visit his mother and old friends.


Pete Paulson and family autoed over from Marshfield Sunday to see his brother Ross who had been so severely injured a few days earlier.


Fred Hankey sold out his interests in the Wm. Hankey place to Miss Anna Hankey and has taken possession of his new home recently purchased of A. W. Beil in Lynn.


Mrs. Herman Schoengarth arrived here Thursday morning from Glendive, Mont., on a visit to relatives. Dr. Rath met her at St. Paul and accompanied her home.


Imperial self-heating flat irons!  Have you seen them?  Come to Knorr-Rausch Hdw. Co.


Rose Kemmeter celebrated her ninth birthday July 12th by entertaining a score or more of her little friends at a party between the hours of 2 and 5 p.m.


Mrs. Bentley of Plymouth, Ind., a paternal aunt of Clyde Shaw’s after visiting him at the Chippewa Falls hospital, journeyed here Wednesday to visit Mrs. C. E. Beeckler.


John Fanning Sr. and his son John of Almira, N. Y., arrived here Tuesday morning to attend the funeral of the late M. B. Ayers, uncle of the first named gentleman.


Get in on old hens now at 9c a pound; shipment first 4 days in week. Also biggest price for your spring chickens are paid at Witte’s.


Mr. Arthur Sparks and Miss Sophia Eggins, two of Sherwood’s most highly respected young people were united in marriage last Monday.


Lost - On July 4th a shadow embroidered baby bonnet trimmed with blue ribbon, between here and York Center.  Finder will please notify, or deliver same to this office.


Mrs. Frank Preston came in Tuesday and met Mrs. Prudence Daley and son, Earl of Escanaba, Mich., who will make an extended visit here.


While trying to remove a bunch of grass from the sickle of a mower, George Howard had the misfortune to have one finger very badly cut. The horses started while he was thus engaged.


I will ship cattle, calves and hogs from Granton on Tuesday, July 18.  Contact M. Lastofka


E. R. Wonser sold his farm northeast of here, known as the Arndt farm, to parties from Two Rivers for $8,000.  This price includes personal property.


Station agent I. W. Morris was called as witness for the grand jury and in company with H. B. Holmes and Geo. R. Brooks left for Eau Claire on Wednesday.


Harry Ober of Arpin is here visiting relatives.  We understand that Mr. and Mrs. Ober are contemplating to take up their residence here again in the near future.


Mr. and Mrs. P. J. Kemmeter and Mrs. Phare left late last week on an extensive tour through the southern part of the state, in the former’s auto.


The salting station is completed and cucumbers are being delivered daily.  If the season is favorable, the establishing of this plant will mean the distribution of about $15,000 among the farmers in this locality during the summer.


It may be of interest to the public in general if we call their attention to a law which went into effect July 2nd, compelling all places of business to be closed on Sundays. Butcher shops, fruit stores and drug stores being exempt.


Deputy oil inspector James Campbell of Neillsville was here on official business Monday. He wishes to call the attention of all gasoline dealers to the law requiring the posting of the gravity test in addition to the flash and fire test, near their tanks.


Henry Williams arrived here from Montana last Saturday to attend to some business matters.  He reports crops as being good in Montana and parts of North Dakota, but that they are almost a total failure in South Dakota.


Mr. and Mrs. Henry Eisenhart wish to express through these columns, their thanks for, and appreciation of, the many courtesies extended them by their neighbors and friends at the time of the fire and for the sewing, contributions, etc. etc. since.


Second and third quality lenses are made and sold largely. We do not sell them. Somebody does.  Our lenses, our eyeglasses and spex are one quality only; the first and best only at Dr. Bachman’s Neillsville.


Late last Thursday afternoon Mrs. C. E. Beeckler received a telegram from Chippewa Falls to the effect that her son Clyde Shaw had lost both feet in a railroad accident. She left for that place on the next train and has since been at his bedside. Clyde who was employed as fireman on the Soo line was relieving a man at Stevens Point and returning to his home in Chippewa Falls he stopped at Stanley for lunch.  It was at this place that he was trying to mount a moving train and losing his hold was thrown under the wheels.  His feet were both cut off below the knee and he received other severe injuries about the body.  He received such medical aid as could be given him at Stanley and was hurried to the hospital at Chippewa Falls, where he has since been in a critical condition.  Clyde and his family have the deepest sympathy of their friends here.


Ross Paulson had the misfortune of being kicked near the stomach by a horse last week Friday. At first he paid little attention to the injuries, but the next day he was obliged to consult Dr. Ross.  The injuries proved to be of a more serious nature than it was first supposed and has since been compelled to remain in bed most of the time.


Mrs. C. E. Beeckler came home from Chippewa Falls Tuesday accompanied by her little grandson Fritz and by John G. Shaw of Black Creek, the paternal grandfather of her son Clyde.  Mr. Shaw had gone to Chippewa Falls in response to intelligence of Clyde’s serious condition. Clyde is in St. Joseph’s Hospital there where though he is still in a most critical condition he is receiving the very best of care and hopes are entertained for his recovery.  The anxiety is severely taxing Mrs. Beeckler’s strength; he being her only child she is deeply attached to him.


Notice - Highest Market Price paid for all kinds of poultry delivered at the car at Granton, July 24th.  John Stanton.



© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.


Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.


Become a Clark County History Buff


Report Broken Links

A site created and maintained by the Clark County History Buffs
and supported by your generous donations.


Webmasters: Leon Konieczny, Tanya Paschke,

Janet & Stan Schwarze, James W. Sternitzky,

Crystal Wendt & Al Wessel