News: Granton (10 Nov 1911)


Contact: Dolores (Mohr) Kenyon



Surnames: Fraser, Hart, Wright, Davis, Rose, Ross, Ackerman, Anding, Knorr, Baer, Morris, Breseman, Ure, Kurth, Eberhardt, Holz, Sassman, Bergeman, Campbell,  Riedel, Kohl, Jones, Toptine, Wallace, Pitsley, Wallace, Calkins, Ellis, Sparks, Albrecht, Reiff, Sternitzky, Finnegan, True, Winn, Howard, Campman, Converse, Carmody, Rinehart, Lindsey, Shafer, Downer, Frome, Wood, Short, Hunter, Wonser, Winslow, Nichols, Beaver, Peterson, Eschenberg, Moh, Ayers, Witte, Scholtz, Borckenhagen, Welsh, Kempin, Beeckler, Breese, Lawson, Garbush, Wilding, Yankee, Martin, Goebel, O’Brien, Eiting, Happe, West, Foster, Schoengarth, Meddaugh, Cole, Cramer, Shaw, Benedict, Hornbeck, Lee, Erickson, Prust, Behringer, Hammler, Amidon


----Source: The Granton News (Granton, Clark Co., WI.) November 10, 1911


Granton (10 November 1911)


Mr. Fraser of Chili took dinner here with his son George, Saturday.


The Geo. Hart family autoed to Moon Sunday.


Vernon Wright went to Eau Claire Monday.


Mr. and Mrs. Hale Davis went to Eau Claire Monday.


W. D. Rose came home from Sycamore, Ill. Tuesday morning.


Mrs. Hale Davis came home from Eau Claire Tuesday.


Dr. P. M. Ross is having a hot air furnace installed in his office.


Miss Lillie Ackerman left last Wednesday for Chicago where she expects to find employment.


Mr. and Mrs. Richard Anding came up from Altoona Saturday for a visit among relatives.


S. R. Davis and his nephew Albert Davis made a business trip to Chippewa Falls, last Saturday.


Mr. and Mrs. Richard Anding went to Neillsville Tuesday evening to visit relatives for a couple days.


The Mesdames A. J. Knorr, W. S. Davis, F. J. Baer and I. W. Morris spent Tuesday evening at Neillsville.


Elsie Breseman, after a few days at home returned to Neillsville, Tuesday.


Clerk of Court Geo. A. Ure and Robert Kurth were over from Neillsville on business, Tuesday.


H. H. Eberhardt of Neillsville drove out and delivered a fine organ at August Holz’s, Wednesday.


Mr. and Mrs. Sassman of Black Creek came Saturday and visited at Gust Bergeman’s until Monday noon, when they left for Turtle Lake to continue their pleasure trip.


Miss Elsie Kurth went to Marshfield on a visit, Wednesday.


Mr. and Mrs. Geo. Campbell were Neillsville callers Wednesday.


Geo. Rose drove to Prey Tuesday with a party of three land seekers.


Alma Riedel went to Marshfield Saturday and spent the time until Monday noon at L. Kohl’s.


Morris Jones of Waukesha arrived here Monday for an extended visit at L. G. Morris’.


The Misses Dora Toptine and Pearl Wallace came home from Athens Wednesday evening.


J. H. Pittsley came home Wednesday from a couple months stay at Bancroft.


Mrs. Willis Williams will entertain the circle ladies at dinner next Wednesday.


Maud and Jennie Calkins, Albert Ellis and Geo. Sparks and family came up from Waupaca County Wednesday.


Mr. and Mrs. Albrecht of Burlington came up Saturday and visited at the Rev. Reiff’s until Wednesday.


Mr. and Mrs. Willie Sternitzky and daughter spent Wednesday morning at Neillsville.


Mrs. Bloomy Sparks after a three weeks’ visit with relatives at Bancroft came home on Wednesday.


Chester Finnegan is building a small barn on his farm known as the old John True place.


Mrs. Geo. Ure came over from Neillsville Saturday afternoon and spent the time until Sunday noon among old friends at Lynn and this place.


Mr. and Mrs. Floyd Winn have moved from the Webb Winn farm down to the Amelia Davis farm on Granton’s north side.


The Mesdames L. H. Howard and W. A. Campman spent Friday here with their aunt Mrs. Frank Converse and a cousin Mrs. Carmody.


Mrs. Webb Winn entertained the Circle, Wednesday. 


Mrs. Wm. Rinehart is prepared to do sewing of all kinds.


Roy Lindsey went to Merrillan Wednesday on a 10 days visit.


Lester Shafer went to Whitehall Monday to spend the week with his brother Will.


Neil and Homer Downer and W. A. Campman left Thursday on a hunting trip in the vicinity of Withee.


Mrs. Will Shafer nee Annie Frome recently underwent an operation for appendicitis at Winona, Minn.


Milo Wood principal of the schools here spent Saturday and Sunday at his home in Stevens Point.


Mrs. Austin Toptine and little son Delbert after a several months visit at John Short’s left for their home in Glendive, Mont., Tuesday.


Miss Martha Hunter went to Alma Center Tuesday on a visit for the balance of the week with her maternal grandmother who resides there.


Mrs. Frank Converse accompanied by her daughter Iva, (Mrs. A. B. Carmody) of Spokane, Wash., and the latter’s baby daughter came up from Melrose last week Thursday.


Mrs. Carmody and daughter left for New York, N. Y., to join Mr. Carmody who is there on a visit to his parents.


E. R. Wonser and family autoed to Neillsville Saturday, Mermal having put in parts of the last two Saturdays in a dental chair of that city.


G. A. Winslow arrived here Wednesday morning from Kansas, on a visit to his sister Mrs. Langdon Nichols.


Wm. Beaver of Loyal has spent the past two weeks here with his brother George on a combination business and pleasure venture.


Mrs. Peterson of Superior after a two weeks visit at Louis Eschenberg’s left for home on Monday.


Mr. and Mrs. Louis Moh and baby Leonie, Mr. and Mrs. August Holz, Mrs. M. V. Ayers, Mrs. Baer and Miss Breseman and H. Witte were Neillsville visitors, Monday.


Mr. and Mrs. Gus Scholtz and Miss Amelia Borckenhagen of Adell came up last week Thursday and remained until Wednesday, guests at Richard Kurth’s.


Miss Mabel Welsh accompanied Miss Martha Kempin home to Chili last Friday and attended the basket social that evening given by the school where Miss Pearl Beeckler teaches.


Mrs. John Breese, Mrs. Henry Lawson, Mr. and Mrs. John Garbush, Geo. Wilding, Mart Yankee, John Martin and Paul Goebel were Neillsville visitors Tuesday.


O’Brien the view man of Lindsey was here early this week delivering pictures and taking views of various places about town.


Mrs. Eiting who is here from New York City on an extended visit to her cousin August Happe, in company with Mrs. Happe was shopping and calling on town friends Tuesday.


Mrs. Wm West died at the Eau Claire hospital last Friday night. The remains were brought home and the funeral took place from the house on Tuesday.


Fred Wonser of Unity and Miss Foster of Sioux City, Iowa visited at E. R’s several days this week. They went to Neillsville Wednesday and were married by Judge Schoengarth that day at noon.


A small son of John Meddaugh south of here while playing in the yard the other day fell and stuck his mouth against the sharp edge of an ax, cutting a deep gash from the corner of the mouth to the ear.


The Fred Cole household experienced a little fire scare Saturday afternoon. The chimney burned out setting fire to the roof boards, which with the assistance of the neighbors was put out before much damage was done.


Peter Cramer, chairman of the Town of Washburn took the train for Neillsville Monday to attend a meeting of the county equalization committee of which he is a member.  Mr. Cramer has entirely recovered from his recent operation for cancer on the tongue.


Deer season opens tomorrow, Saturday.


Lew Marsh has fitted up the upper story of the News building for a carpenter shop.


Clyde Shaw bought the Perry Benedict forty in York, 4 miles north of here, Monday with all the personal property for $2800.  Mr. and Mrs. C. E. Beeckler have rented the place for a year and will have moved onto it by Monday.


Raymond Hornbeck a former Granton boy, now at Whitewater, suffered the amputation of his left arm three inches below the elbow as the result of a corn shredder accident early last week according to a letter written by his sister Miss Beulah, to Miss Ruth Lee of this place.


Richard Kurth and wife celebrated their silver wedding anniversary last Friday when they entertained about 40 relatives and friends at a 6 o’clock supper and spent a happy evening among their guests who bestowed upon them many beautiful gifts of silver in token of their esteem of this worthy pair, who will long remember the day through the beautiful gifts if nothing more.


The old saying is that "a bad penny will always come back."  Knute Erickson came back!  He arrived here Tuesday morning after an absence of several years.  Knute was formerly in the painter business here and left one day, without leaving his address with any one.  It was reported here one time, that he had died in a bug house somewhere, and when he made his appearance on the streets that day, many wondered if it was the real Knute or his ghost.


August Prust and Chas Behringer of Chili were business callers here Monday.  They informed us that the establishment of a bank at Chili is assured, there having been enough stock subscribed to warrant this statement. The erection of a suitable building will be commenced in spring and the bank opened for business about July 1st.  It is the intention of the promoters that all of the stock be raised by home capital, making a limit of five shares to any one man. Chili is coming to the front rapidly as a trading center and the establishment of a bank there will be greatly appreciated by the business men and public in general.




© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.


Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.


Become a Clark County History Buff


Report Broken Links

A site created and maintained by the Clark County History Buffs
and supported by your generous donations.


Webmasters: Leon Konieczny, Tanya Paschke,

Janet & Stan Schwarze, James W. Sternitzky,

Crystal Wendt & Al Wessel