News: Granton (17 Nov 1911)


Contact: Dolores (Mohr) Kenyon



Surnames: Paulson, Handt, Hughes, Anding, Flint, Riedel, Crosby, Ross, Neinas, Hayden, Wonser, Bergeman, Marg, Wiesner, Schmoll, Howard, Garbush, Winn, Davis, Fraser, Strey, Gotter, Gerzemehle, Wheeler, Cornelius, Reichert, Kurth, Scholtz, Lautenbach, Schlinsog, Zschernitz, Leason, Roberts, Beeckler, Shaw, King, Beardsley, Curtis, Nichols, Sternitzky, Wilke, Jahr, Breed, Rath,, Schoengarth, Cannon, Hales, Campman,  Converse, Fradenberg, Hart, Knorr, Schmidt, Yankee, Breseman, Osgood, Garvin, Beecher, Schwantes, Winslow, Bass, Dietrich, Adams, Sparks, Bealer, Slocomb, Lichte, Tischer, Thipps, Campbell, Oatman, Beaver, Zwick, Raymond, Balke, Tompkins, Hallock, Sheppler, Ferris, Thornton, Riedel


----Source: The Granton News (Granton, Clark Co., WI.) November 17, 1911


Granton (17 November 1911)


Ross Paulson came home from Chicago, Friday.


Miss Lillian Handt went to Minneapolis Saturday evening.


Archie Hughes got home from the west last week Friday.


Mr. and Mrs. Richard Anding returned to Altoona Saturday evening.


Grandma Flint is still confined to her bed.


Ernest Riedel returned to Marshfield Monday.


Mrs. Emery Crosby visited Mrs. Ross Tuesday.


Chas Neinas made a business trip to Marshfield, Tuesday.


Mrs. Chas Hayden spent Wednesday at Chili.


E. R. Wonser and Gustave Bergeman spent several days early this week at Colby on business.


Mr. and Mrs. Henry Marg and son Vernie spent Monday at Marshfield.


Mr. and Mrs. Chas Wiesner were guests at August Schmoll’s Tuesday.


Archie Howard and Mr. and Mrs. Robert Garbush were Neillsville visitors, Tuesday.


Mrs. Guy Winn and children came home on Friday from a three weeks visit at McCord.


Mrs. John Davis of Chili was here on business between trains on Wednesday.


Mrs. Geo. Fraser and son Beaufort spent Wednesday with friends at Chili.


Ben Strey came up from Sheboygan Falls Monday evening and returned home on Wednesday.


Mrs. Ross Paulson was very ill late last week.


Robert Gotter took his best girl to a Neillsville hop Saturday night.


Miss Selma Handt was a guest of Miss Laura Gerzemehle last Saturday and Sunday.


Phil Wheeler of Plymouth traveling shoe salesman transacted business here Tuesday.


Louis Cornelius of Sheboygan visited his sister Mrs. Reichert here early this week.


Norma Schmoll has been ill and confined to her bed for the past two weeks.


The Misses Elsie Kurth and Ida Scholtz will leave for Milwaukee today.


Miss Theresa Lautenbach came over from Neillsville and attended the Schlinsog wedding Tuesday.


Mrs. Ethel Zschernitz is house keeper for A. S. Leason and son Ralph since Monday.


Mrs. Roberts of Wilton came last Friday t o visit her daughter Miss Myrtle, one of our teachers.


Mr. and Mrs. C. E. Beeckler moved onto the Clyde Shaw farm in York, Saturday.


Homer King appears with added dignity since the stork’s visit to his daughter Hattie, Mrs. Otis Beardsley.


M. and Mrs. J. G. Curtis of Waupaca county are visiting at the Langdon Nichols home since Tuesday.


Mrs. Louis Cornelius of Sheboygan was a guest of Mrs. Amelia Reichert and of Dr. and Mrs. Ross several days this week.


The family of foreigners who for months past were engaged with the sugar beet industry for W. J. Davis left for Chicago Tuesday.


Miss Bertha Sternitzky is enroute home from Chicago Park, California.


Arnold Wilke after a several days visit at Frank Jahr’s, went home to Neillsville, Wednesday.


Mrs. Gusta Breed is engaged with nursing at Chili since last Friday.


Mr. and Mrs. Frank Davis of Heathville spent Monday here with relatives and friends.


Mr. and Mrs. Hale Davis and baby Robert were over Sunday guests at Geo. Beeckler’s in Levis.


Mrs. R. Rath and Mrs. Herman Schoengarth came home Saturday from a weeks visit in Jackson County.


Miss Mabel Cannon after a visit with Mrs. Maggie Hales of York returned to Neillsville, Monday.


The Mesdames W. A. Campman and L. H. Howard of Neillsville spent Friday afternoon here with Mrs. Frank Converse.


Mr. and Mrs. Bert Fradenberg came over from Humbird Saturday and remained until Monday noon, guests at Fred Hart’s.


Mr. and Mrs. A. J. Knorr went to Milwaukee Monday on a several days’ combination business and pleasure trip.


Mrs. Johanna Schmidt of Loyal came down late last week for a couple weeks visit with her sister Mrs. Otto Yankee of Lynn.


There will be a meeting in the Union Church; Sunday evening, November the 19th; Subject: "Plans Which God Frustrated."


The Misses Theresa Lautenbach, Elsie and Lydia Breseman came over from Neillsville and spent Saturday afternoon here with friends.


Mrs. Almeda Osgood went to Rozellville Friday in response to news that her son Chas was very ill and confined to his bed.


Mrs. John Davis with her two children, are here from Rosendale visiting at Archie Garvin’s in York since Wednesday.


Mrs. R. C. Beecher entertained at dinner Sunday in honor of Mrs. Frank Converse who expects to depart for York State next Monday where she will join her husband and may locate, permanently.


Mrs. Herman Schwantes, her daughter Margaret and Mrs. Ferd Schwantes of Spencer came down Saturday for a short visit at Fred Schwantes’ who is a son of the first named lady.


Frant Osgood went up to I. Davis’ near Withee last Friday and after three days of no luck at deer hunting returned home Tuesday.  There were 6 in their party. Two deer were seen, but none bagged.


Mrs. Langdon Nichols and Mrs. Frank Converse will leave for York State next Monday. They will be accompanied thither by J. H. Winslow of Kansas a brother of the first named who has been visiting her here since last week.


Mrs. Chas Bass drove in last week Thursday with her daughter Sadie and had a physician remove a tumor for her left hand.  Miss Sadie remained with Mrs. August Schmoll until Saturday.


Adolph Riedel after a several months sojourn in the St. Frances Hospital at Superior came home with his brother Ernest, Saturday.  Adolph is feeling quite himself again.


Mr. and Mrs. Fred Dietrich of Sheboygan County came down from Antigo, Monday to spend the balance of the week at Sam Adams’ and attend the golden wedding of Mr. and Mrs. Adams today.  Mr. and Mrs. Dietrich will continue their trip as far as Spencer, tomorrow.


The stork found Mr. and Mrs. Otis Beardsley in Norway, Mich., where last Saturday he presented them with a dear little seven and a half pound daughter.  Otis’ mother is with them just now and we understand the baby and its mother are both doing well.  The little lady will henceforth be known as Sylva Beardsley.


James Sparks came up from Waupaca County, Wednesday.


Mrs. Erlo Davis went to Loyal Wednesday to spend the winter with Mr. and Mrs. Bush Davis.  Erlo will go to the woods to work.


Mrs. Wm Bealer of Chili after spending 2 weeks with her sister, Mrs. Herman Garbush left for home, Wednesday.


Chas Slocomb who returned from Beach, N. D., spent a few days here and left for Loyal, Wednesday.


Mrs. Fred Lichte and Mrs. Gerzemehle spent the time between last Friday and this Wednesday at the Adolph Schlinsog home assisting in the preparations for the wedding.


The Misses Lizzie and Clara Tischer of Owatonna, Minn., arrived here Monday on a week’s visit between the Fred Lichte, Adolph and August Schlinsog and Gerzemehle families.


Arthur Thipps of Greenbush bought the George Campbell farm of 40 acres with all personal property last Saturday, $5,275.  Mr. and Mrs. Thipps are to have possession next Wednesday when Mr. and Mrs. Campbell will become Granton residents, having rented the C. E. Beeckler home, here.


Geo Oatman a well known Chili resident died at his home there of heart failure brought on by a general decline, last Tuesday night.


Mrs. Geo Beaver, Mr. and Mrs. August Schlinsog, Jr., Mrs. Fred Zwick, Delos Raymond, Albert Schlinsog, Clara and Louise Tischer, Ernest Schlinsog and Lena Balke spent Wednesday at Neillsville.


Mrs. J. M. Tompkins arrived word last Friday that Mrs. Norman Hallock was very ill at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Nellie Sheppler at Hawthorne and that her son Arthur of that place, Ben of Chili, and daughters Mrs. Ferris of Gordon and Mrs. Thornton of Chicago were in constant attendance at her bed side.  Little or no hopes of her recovery are entertained.


Mrs. Gottlieb Riedel went to Mendota Monday to see her daughter, Gustie who is confined there.  She found the hospital under quarantine on account of diphtheria and in consequence was refused a personal visit with her. She had the satisfaction however of learning that within 3 weeks this daughter would be transferred to the new asylum at Marshfield.




© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.


Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.


Become a Clark County History Buff


Report Broken Links

A site created and maintained by the Clark County History Buffs
and supported by your generous donations.


Webmasters: Leon Konieczny, Tanya Paschke,

Janet & Stan Schwarze, James W. Sternitzky,

Crystal Wendt & Al Wessel