News: Granton Locals #2 (2 Mar 1917)




Surnames: Pischer, Schroeder, Morse, Paulson, Davis, Jacobi, Bredlau, Pizer, Spry, Wright, Wonser, Ross, Gerber, Jenson, Winn, Dopp, Haltaufderheide, Rausch, Dixon, Garbush, Amidon, Crosby, Tompkins, Todd, Phipps, Lawson, Darling, Ure, Handt, Rose, Frei, Dietrich, Sherrett, Cramer, Hasz, Breseman, Hitzke, Goebel, Thayer, Potter, Stockwell, Baer, Weber, Lee, Ide, Altenburg, Timerson, Jordan, Martin, Barager, Rossman, Spaulding, Burdick, Hoffman, Waterman, Beeckler, Tucker, Palmer, Mahn, Schune, Shapiro, Cross, O’Brien, Deegan, Lautenbach, Jahr, Campbell, Burch, Storm, Tremelling, Strand, Neinas, Schultz, Woodward, Kapke, Reichert, Kidd, Dietrich, Hahm, Holtz, Osgood, Fuller, Wallace, Sweet, Dufrane, Rand, Case, Canfield, Page, Buss, Eberhardt, Kier


----Source: Granton News (Granton, Clark County, Wis.) 03/02/1917


Alvin Pischer went to Randolph on business on Wednesday.


Mr.Morse of Christie was here to see Ross Paulson on Saturday.


Fred Davis and his son Curtis were county seat visitors on Monday.


Conrad and Willie Jacobi went to Marshfield on Monday.


Fred Bredlau came down from Loyal Tuesday on a business trip.


Mrs. W.S. Davis will entertain the Circle next Wednesday.


John Pizer, Lloyd and W.J. Spry were county seat visitors on Saturday.


Vernon Wright  returned to Camp Douglas last Saturday.


E.R. Wonser went to Plymouth Monday morning.


Dr. H.L. Ross was at Chili on business Wednesday afternoon .


Leland Gerber, Alvin Pischer and W.S. Davis were Neillsville visitors on Tuesday.


I.N. Jensen, Mr. and Mrs. Byrl Winn, and Fred Dopp were Marshfield visitors on Tuesday.


Harold Haufderheide came home from Two Rivers Tuesday evening on a two week vacation visit.


D.S. Rausch, Ernest Dixon and E.R. Wonser were at Black River Falls one day last week.


Robert Garbush and his niece Miss Frieda Garbush were Chili visitors Friday.


Joe Ross of Manitoba, Canada is here since last week Thursday visiting his brother Dr. P.M. Ross.


Miss Edna Schroeder went home to Augusta Friday for an over Sunday stay and visit.


G.E. Amidon is home from Melrose since Saturday morning.


Attorney E.W. Crosby of Neillsville visited his parents here on Sunday.


Frank Tompkins left for Birmingham, Ala. on Wednesday.


Lester Todd was at Neillsville on business on Monday.


Arthur Phipps and daughter Edna were Neillsville visitors on Monday.


Henry Lawson shipped a grade Holstein calf by express to B.J. Darling of Matoon on Monday.


Mrs. Geo. A. Ure of Neillsville was a pelasant caller among town friends last week Thursday.


Paul Handt, W.D. Ross, Geo. Frei Jr. and Henry Dietrich were Neillsville visitors Wednesday.


Ezra Sherrett of route 4 purchased the Peter Cramer 120 acre farm in Washburn last week.


Rev. Hasz officiated at the funeral of little Mary Schmoll, which was held at Chili on Tuesday.


Oscar and Fred Breseman left for Chelsea Monday.  They have employment in a sawmill there.


Mrs. Ed Schroeder and baby Raymond of Clintonville are visiting at Elmer Hitzke’s since Tuesday.


Mrs. John Goebel will entertain the ladies aid of Rev. Reiff’s parish next Wednesday, March 7th.


Mrs. W.J. Thayer went to Neillsville Friday and visited her old friend, Mrs. Frank Potter, a couple of days.


Mr. and Mrs. Arthur Stockwell of the town of Pink Valley spent Friday afternoon here with the Baer’s and other friends.


John Weber of the town of Richfield, Wood Co., was here on Wednesday and bought a horse of Ross Paulson.


T.F. Lee shipped a pure bred Durham calf to a Marshfield party yesterday and a full blooded Poland China hog to Elmer Ennis at Woodville.


The Chicago Musical Club, consisting of six persons and which gave us the "free" lecture course number last week Thursday evening, gave us in our opinion, the best number of the season.


Miss Abbie Ide of Route 1, who has been on the sick list for several weeks past, is enjoying a visit from Mrs. James Sharp  of Black River Falls, who came up Monday to visit her and help her get well.


Albert Altenburg, Ritz Nolte and Henry Altenburg, all of Hazel green, arrived here Tuesday in response to news of the death of the late John Altenburg at Lynn Sunday.


Mrs. Dan Timerson and children, who are moving back from Marshfield to their old home in York, came over by train Wednesday while Dan drove through with the household goods on sleds.


Lloyd Jordan and family went to Osseo Wednesday for a week or 10 days visit among relatives.  Mr. and Mrs. Seth Martin are keeping house for them and looking after Grandma Martin during their absence.


The Misses Vila Barager, Ida Rossman and Maurice Spaulding, all of Stevens Point, came up Thursday evening of last week and remained over Sunday, guests of the former’s sister, Miss Iva Barager.


Mr. and Mrs. Alfred Burdick and their unmarried children are here from Ontario since Wednesday visiting relatives in the Louis and Alvin Sternitzky homes.  Mr. Burdick and family expect to take up residence in this vicinity again.


Virgil Hoffman, after a 10 day visit at W.J. Spry’s and W.W. Smith’s, went home to Bloom City on Saturday.


Mr. and Mrs. Clark Waterman and daughter Helen of Chili were over Sunday guests in the E.A. Beeckler home.


Mrs. Paul Garbush and little son Fred are visiting at Adolph and Aug. Foemmel’s at Chili since yesterday.


Abel Harding, Harold Hiles and A.D. Case, all of Chili, were in town Friday.


Miss Frieda Garbush is visiting her uncle Geo. Garbush at Rochester Minn. since early this week.


Mrs. Ross Paulson went to Lodi on a visit to Mr. and Mrs. A.H. Tucker on Saturday.


Dan Palmer went to Lake Mills Monday on a combination business and pleasure trip.


Mrs. Hannah Mahn of Neillsville came over Friday and spent the afternoon with her aged parents, Mr. and Mrs. Wm. Schune.


Miss Ida Shapiro went to Marshfield Friday evening and made an over Sunday visit.


Mrs. P.A. Cross of Neillsville, after a week’s visit at Ted O’Brien’s in York, went home on Saturday.


Geo. Deegan and Aug. Lautenbach were Neillsville visitors on Saturday.


Charles Schroeder went to Neillsville Saturday and visited his grandparents Mr. and Mrs. Chas. Babcock over Sunday.


Mrs. Albert Jahr is home from a several weeks visit at Neillsville, since Monday and is quite well again.


Mr. and Mrs. Ray Campbell and children are Neillsville residents since Wednesday.  He has employment at the condensary.


Roy Brooks came home from Morristown, S.D. on Saturday and left for Madison on Monday.  He has business in the capitol city.


Miss Frieda storm is at Marshfield since Friday helping her aunt, Mrs. Aug. Storm, in the care of a sick child.


Mrs. Jas. Tremelling came over from Marshfield Sunday morning in response to a message that her father John Altenburg had passed away.


Clarence Strand, Arthur Neinas and Geo. King entertained a company of young folks at a spread at the King home one night the first of the week.


The Camp Fire Girls entertained their mothers at a pleasant surprise party at the Byrl Winn home last Saturday evening.


Walter Schultz, Lester Woodward and Chas. Kapke, all of Neillsville, were here on business Tuesday.


The Reichert Bros. are re-painting and generally shining up the interior of their home on the east side of town.


.M. Kidd of Osseo, after a three week visit at Loyal Jordan’s, went home on Wednesday.


The Granton Cardinals vs. Stratford basketball team will hold the floor at the opera house tonight, Friday.  Everybody come and see the Cardinals win.


The Misses Emma and Anita Dietrich are visiting Mrs. Berger at Neillsville since last Saturday when they went down on the evening train.


Mrs. Gus Hahm accompanied her cousin Mrs. Gus Holtz home to Neillsville Saturday for a several days visit.


Mrs. E.D. Ackerman returned home on Monday after an absence of several weeks visiting relatives in Chicago and Sheboygan.


Miss Emma Schune came up from Milwaukee last week Thursday since which time she is in attendance at the bedside of her sick and aged father, Wm. Schune.


Miss Frances Brooks came home from Chippewa Falls Friday and visited her parents until Sunday noon when she returned to her studies at the Normal school in that city.


Mot Osgood and family have vacated their late place of residence and moved in with his mother and aunt, Mrs. Elizabeth Fuller and Mrs. Laura Mason.  Frank Davis had purchased the place just vacated by Mot and Harry Davis and wife are moving there.


Wm. Wallace of Stevens Point arrived here Tuesday on a combination business and pleasure trip.  He is just home from a visit in Kentucky and Virginia and is quite disappointed at finding so much snow here.


Mrs. Chas. Neinas was at Chili Tuesday afternoon and in attendance at the funeral of little 3-year-old Mary Schmoll, the little daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John Schmoll of Edgar, who was accidentally burned to death when the home was consumed by fire, last Saturday.  The child’s mother is a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Henry Behling of Chili and is a cousin of Mrs. Neinas.


The E.A. Schroder family is enjoying a visit from a brother of hers who came up from Weyauwega on Saturday.


Gearnie Sweet of Chili spent a couple of days of last week here with friends in the L. Stevens home.


Mrs. D.S. Rausch was at Neillsville Wednesday and visited the Pete Paulson family.


Miss Clara Garbush, who had been visiting relatives at Rochester, Minn., is home from there since Wednesday.  She reports a pleasant visit but came home on account of being somewhat ill.


The last number of this season’s lecture course will be given here tomorrow, Saturday night, March 3rd.  Remember Saturday night.


Mrs. August Dufrane of Route 2 is home from a 5 week visit in Chicago, since Monday.


Herman Schune came up from Altoona last Friday to see his father who was at that time alarmingly ill.


Mrs. G.E. Amidon arrived home from Tawas City, Mich., Sunday morning.


Mrs. Mattie Rand went to Neillsville Tuesday and spent a couple of days with her daughter, Mrs. A.L. Devos.  Then returning here on Wednesday she left for her home in Greenwood yesterday.


Rev. Case of Route 1 went to Humbird Tuesday and continued on to Chetek the next day where he is spending the blance of the week attending the district quarterly conference.


Mrs. Gus Hagen visited relatives at Neillsville Tuesday and Wednesday.


Mrs. W.J. Thayer went to Greenwood Tuesday on a visit to her parents, Mrs. And Mrs. Dutcher of that city.


Mrs. Leonard Cole of Humbird is visiting her sisters, the Mesdames Fred Hart and Chas. Bollom since Tuesday.


Warren Page, a guard in the state prison at Waupun, came up Monday and made a several days visit to his mother and his children, returning to Waupun again yesterday.


Mrs. Joe Buss is recovering from her recent severe illness and is up and about the house again.  Mr. Buss is about okay and was in town on business on Wednesday.


Oscar Eberhardt was called to Milwaukee Friday by the death of his brother-in-law Chas. Suckow of that city.  Mr. Eberhardt will visit his daughter at Sheboygan and sons at Plymouth and Clintonville before returning home.


Kearney Davis, after a 6 week ownership of a stract of land in the town of York, joined with W.S. Davis, who owned some adjoining land, and sold out to Fred Kier lsast week.  Kier bought out the two Davis’ with a 75 acre tract.




© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.


Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.


Become a Clark County History Buff


Report Broken Links

A site created and maintained by the Clark County History Buffs
and supported by your generous donations.


Webmasters: Leon Konieczny, Tanya Paschke,

Janet & Stan Schwarze, James W. Sternitzky,

Crystal Wendt & Al Wessel