News: Clark -Wis. Central RR (Timber -29 Apr 1876)
Contact: Robert Lipprandt
Surnames: Adams, Bacon, Campbell, Colby, Lund, Phillips, Spaulding, Van Hossear
----Source: The Stevens Point Journal (Stevens Point, WI) 4/29/1876
The Wisconsin Central Railroad Company’s Contribution to the Centennial Exhibition.
The Centennial Timber, consisting of white and red oak, rock and birds-eye maple, white and black ash, butternut, basswood and white pine procured by Mr. A. D. Lund for the Wisconsin Central Railroad Company, was brought to this place some days since, but as none of our mills here were in operations, it was taken to Spaulding, Van Hossear & Co.’s mill, Unity, where it was sawed under the directions received from M. G. Campbell, the well known Mater Mechanic of the Central road.
The timber was then shipped here last Thursday, where it was prepared for exhibition and boxed for shipment at the company’s shops, under the special supervision of Mr. G. Campbell and Mr. Adams, the Master Carpenter.
It was shipped from this place on Saturday for Philadelphia. Mr. E. B. Philips, the general manager, and E. Bacon, the superintendent of the road, were here Saturday, and appeared to be very much pleased with the specimens and the manner in which they has been prepared.
The specimens comprised in part, sections 2 feet in length taken from each log, the balance being sawed into 3 inch planks of full width, 4 feet in length, and timbers 8 inches square and 4 feet in length and were very fine ones, especially the birds-eye maple and butternut. There was a section of the birds-eye maple 3 feet in length, slabbed so as to leave about 2 inches of the bark on the corners, with the sides doing and polished, presenting an unusual rich and beautiful appearance. Some of the specimens were simply polished, while others, in order to show the grain of the timber more distinctly, were both oiled and polished.
Neatly printed cards from the Journal job office, having upon them the kind of timber and the words, “From the line of the Wisconsin Central Railroad,” were attached to the specimens. To insure against checking a cap of seasoned timber was fastened across the ends of the planks. The company has procured and finished these specimens of timber regardless of the cost and expense, and the exhibit cannot be otherwise than creditable to them and also to Northern Wisconsin.
We are informed that Mr. Charles L. Colby, the Land Commissioner of the W.C.R.R. Co., has procured a very prom place for the exhibition of these specimens in the department allotted to the State of Wisconsin, and they will without doubt form an attractive feature at the world’s exhibition, and cannot fail to call the attention of manufactured to the untold wealth, hidden in the undeveloped forest of Northern Wisconsin, along the line of the Wisconsin Central Railroad.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs