News: Granton Locals (20 Apr 1917)


Surnames: Schlinsog, Davis, Jahr, Finnigan, Lawson, Dows, Schaefer, Selk, Dopp, Anderson, Krause, Thayer, Redmond, Sturdevant, Schuelke, Hasz, Cole, Lee, Marsh, Beer, Scholtz, Grasser, Mahn, Roehl, Doede, Martens, Wischuelke, Moldenhauer, Paulson, Goebel, Deutsch, Kurth, Amidon, Thompson, Troxel, Hunter, Ross, Jackisch, Neitzel, Hales, Johnstone, Wilding, Peterson, Slocomb, Hantke, Atley, Downer, Adams, Young, Borena, Winn, Herrian, Schune, Beardsley, Armstrong, Rhines, Bruley, Wegner, Hiles, Steuerwald, Cole, Owens, Irving, Bladl, Wells, Eberhardt, Williams, Crandall, Rose, Erwin, Raymond, Monskie, Krause, Pischer, Wonser, Baer, Hollenbach, Books, Ott, Schroeder, Devos, Fricke, Dixon, Ulehorn Dietrich, Benedict

----Source: Granton News (Granton, Clark County, Wis.) 04/20/1917

Mrs. August Schlinsog Sr. visited Chili friends on Saturday.

S.R. Davis and Webb Winn were county seat visitors on Saturday.

Miss Clara Jahr spent Saturday afternoon with Marshfield friends.

Chester Finnigan was at Marshfield on business on Saturday.

Miss Clara Lawson was a Neillsville visitor on Saturday.

Wm. Dows made a trip to Neillsville Tuesday.

The Misses Maria and Ora Davis spent Saturday at Marshfield.

Miss Hilda Schaefer spent Tuesday with her mother at the Marshfield Hospital.

Mr. and Mrs. Fred Selk of Chili were guests of Mr. and Mrs. Fred Dopp on Monday.

Miss Esther Anderson of Neillsville spent the weekend here with her sister, Mrs. Harry Davis.

Mrs. Gus Krause of Neillsville visited Mrs. W.J. Thayer one day last week.

Geo. Redmond and Attorney C.R. Sturdevant were over from Neillsville on Tuesday.

Chas. Schuelke was at the county seat on business on Tuesday.

Rev. M. Hasz went to Mondovi to attend conference on Tuesday.

Mrs. Leonard Cole, one of our brides, is visiting her parents at Ogdensburg since Tuesday.

Mrs. Vint Lee came over from Neillsville Saturday on a visit to relatives.

Mrs. Claire Marsh and children went to Marshfield Saturday on a several days visit with old friends.

Chas. Beer and family have moved to Auburndale where he has employment in the Connor Co. Store.

Mrs. W.J. Scholtz accompanied by her brother Herman Krause, visited Neillsville relatives on Tuesday.

Miss Gobe Scholtz of Veefkind, a professional nurse, is here caring for Carl Krause since late last week.

Mrs. Mike Grasser went to Neillsville Saturday and made an over Sunday visit with Miss Minnie Herrian.

Mrs. Hannah Mahn came over from Neillsville Tuesday to spend a couple of days at the Adolph Schune.

Frank Roehl went to Chili Wednesday.

Ben Doede was a county seat visitor on Wednesday.

Mrs. A. Martens went to Chili on Wednesday.

Mrs. Seth martin went to Chili Tuesday on a several days visit.

Wm. Wischuelke visited Mike Moldenhauer at Neillsville on Monday.

Ross Paulson was a Taylor on a horse buying trip on Tuesday.

Paul Goebel visited Gus Deutsch and family at Neillsville on Wednesday.

Miss Elsie Kurth is visiting relatives at Marshfield since Wednesday.

Mrs. Fred Dopp, Mrs. Chas. Neinas, Mrs. Frank Davis and W.S. Davis spent Friday afternoon at Chili.

Mrs. G.E. Amidon will entertain the circle next Wednesday, the 25th.

Mr. and Mrs. Robert Thompson of York are home from Rochester, Minn., since Wednesday.

Mrs. J.W. Troxel of Alma Center is visiting Harry Hunter’s on Route 4 since Wednesday.

Dr. P.M. Ross came home from a several days stay at Rochester, Minn. on Sunday.

Mrs. Robert Jackisch and the two children are home from Dubuque, Iowa since Wednesday, visiting Mrs. Susan Neitzel.

Mrs. Richard Kurth will entertain the Frauenversin of Rev. Reiff’s parish next Wednesday afternoon, April 25th.

A.W. Hales went to New Richmond Wednesday to see about the bringing home of some pure bred stock he has purchased there.

Mrs. Arthur Kurth arrived home from a ten day visit at Unity on Tuesday evening.

Mrs. Geo. Wilding and Mrs. Rob Kurth of Neillsville spent yesterday here among relatives and town friends.

Leo Peterson, Ira Slocomb and Gay Hales, students who were home from the state university for the holiday recess, returned to Madison and their studies there Tuesday.

Mr. and Mrs. Otto Hantke arrived home from Snyder, Neb., last Tuesday. They were returning from her mother’s funeral and made a like trip there last October to attend the father, Mr. Kurz’s, funeral.

Miss Edna Alley of Eland, enroute to Spooner where she is teaching in public school, was elayed by a railroad wreck near Marshfield, so as to miss train connections for that day and came on here and spent the night with Mrs. Homer Downer, then continued to Spooner on Sunday. Miss Alley taught in the primary room here two years ago.

Mrs. S.A. Adams, a pioneer of the town of York of the age of 76 years, after a long and painful illness suffering with cancer, died at her home last week Wednesday. She is survived by her husband, one daughter, Mrs. Cynthia Young, one adopted daughter Mrs. Otto Post, and two granddaughters. The funeral was held Sunday and burial made in the York Cemetery.

Peter Borena of Marshfield, in the employ of the Puerner Cramery Co. of that city, met with a terrible accident early Tuesday morning when thoruhg a corssed electric wire he was given an electric shock of 2300 volts which terribly burned him and left him unconscious. One finger has had to be amputated and the burns on his head, chest and hands are very severe. He is now a patient at St. Joseph’s Hospital and hopes are entertained for his recovery, unless infection sets in.

Mrs. G.L. Beardsley of Neillsville spent Tuesday afternoon here with relatives in the Homer King home.

Mrs. Lillie Armstrong of Chili came Thursday evening of last week for a visit with the Willis Williams family.

David Rhines of the town of York went to Antigo Saturday on a combination business and pleasure trip, returning home the first of the week.

Mrs. W.J. Scholtz of Route 4 reports her children are among the ill the past five weeks with whooping cough.

Velma Bruley and Nelda Wegner of Neillsville spent Saturday here with the latter’s cousin Frieda Wegner at the Forest House.

Mrs. Lloyd Hiles, her daughter Muriel and son Lloyd of Chicago are here since last week Thursday visiting the Harold and John Hiles families.

Mrs. Chas. Steuerwald and little daughters went home to Loyal Saturday accompanied by Mrs. A.J. Knorr, who made a several days visit.

The Young People’s Club gave Mr. and Mrs. Leonard Cole a delightful surprise Sunday evening in the shape of a miscellaneous shower at the Hale Davis home.

Chas. Owens and daughter Miss Laura of the town of York went to New Lisbon Saturday where they joined Mrs. Owen and attended the funeral of the latter’s mother.

Mrs. Irvin of Hokah, Minn., with her niece Miss Catherin Bladl of Route 4, arrived here Saturday. Mrs. Irving is to join her father and take up residence here.

Burt Wells and B.H. Eberhardt were over from Neillsville blasting out stumps on the latter’s farm on Friday.

Mrs. Dave Williams, after an 8 month stay with an adopted daughter at Chester, S.D., joined her husband here at the E.W. Crandall home last Saturday.

Miss Marion Erwin went home to Spencer Saturday, accompanied by her brother Howard, his wife and baby Beulah, who went to spend a few days at the home of Mrs. Susan L. Erwin.

Mrs. Otis Beardsley and children Sylvia and George are here from Norway, Mich. visiting her parents Mr. and Mrs. H.A. King since Saturday.

Mrs. A. Raymond and daughter Christobel of Nekoosa came Thursday evening of last week to visit at Will Rogers in York and more particularly to attend the funeral of the late Mrs. S.A. Adams, who was a relative.

W. Scott Davis and Orren Hickox went to Taylor Wednesday on a stock buying trip. Mrs. Hickox spent the day with her parents at Neillsville and came down with the gentlemen on the midnight limited.

Chas. Monskie of Winchester, after a week’s visit her with his cousin Chas. Krause, went home Tuesday. Mrs. Krause is mending nicely. Miss Cora Scholtz, who was caring for him, went home Wednesday.

E. Ackerman spent several days of last week with Mr. and Mrs. Alvin Pischer at Columbus. Alvin has had the misfortune to lose his driving horse. The animal was kicked by another and died from the effects.

Mrs. E.F. Wonser and daughter Mermel, Mrs. G.E. Amidon, Mr. and Mrs. F.J. Baer and daughter Helene, and Miss Agnes Hollenbach enjoyed Lyman Howe’s movies at Neillsville Wednesday evening.

The Granton O.E.S., numbering some 30, gave Mr. and Mrs. Geo. R. Brooks a farewell surprise party at the A.J. Knorr home last Friday evening. They played 500 and a very enjoyable evening was had by all present. Mr. and Mrs. Brooks are leaving for their new home at Morristown, S.D. yet this week.

Albert Ott of West Grant and Miss Marie Schroeder of Neillsville were married last week Wednesday. The wedding took place at the home of her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Fred Schroeder. They have taken up residence here in Grant on the groom’s fine farm.

Henry Scholtz of Watertown visited relatives in the Henry Dietrich family several days this week. Mr. Scholtz had been at Marshfield to attend the funeral of one Leonard Jackel, a relative. He will visit relatives at Stratford and Wausau enroute home.

Mr. and Mrs. W.D. Rose went to Eau Claire last week Wednesday and Mrs. Rose underwent an operation at the Sacred Heart Hospital there the next day for goiter. Mr. Rose returned home Saturday and reported her as doing nicely.

Mrs. A.L. Devos, Mrs. Clara Fricke, Miss Zura Fricke and Leland Foreman, all of Neillsville were guests of Mr. and Mrs. Ernest Dixon Saturday afternoon.

Mrs. Geo. King went to La Valle Tuesday on an extended visit to her parents. George, her husband, a member of Co. A. of the 3rd Regiment of Wis. National Guards, stationed at Two Harbors, Minn., is a patient in the hospital there suffering with la grippe since late last week.

Mr. and Mrs. David Garbush were called to Plymouth two weeks ago by the alarming illness of her mother Mrs. Ulehorn. Mr. Garbush returned home east Monday and returned there in response to news of the aged lady’s death last Saturday. Mr. and Mrs. Garbush arrived home here Wednesday morning.

Mrs. Jerry Davis of Marshfield, who has been visiting the W.E. Benedict family in York, went to Rochester, Minn. Tuesday to be with her daughter Mrs. W.E. Benedict at the Mayo Hospital there, where on Wednesday Mrs. Benedict underwent an operation for the removal of a cancerous tumor from her left cheek.






© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.


Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.


Become a Clark County History Buff


Report Broken Links

A site created and maintained by the Clark County History Buffs
and supported by your generous donations.


Webmasters: Leon Konieczny, Tanya Paschke,

Janet & Stan Schwarze, James W. Sternitzky,

Crystal Wendt & Al Wessel