Bio: Arthur E. Darton (1866 - ?)
Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org on Sat, 10 Feb 2001
Surnames: DARTON, BRAISER, ROSSMAN
----Source: 1918 History of Clark Co., WI, by Franklyn, Curtiss-Wedge
ARTHUR E. DARTON, a resident of the village of Loyal, who was formerly identified with the agricultural interests of Beaver Township, was born near Harford, Washington County, Wis., June 8, 1866.
His parents were William and Sarah (Braiser) Darton, the father a native of London, England, and the mother of Canada, in which latter country they were married. About four years later they came to Wisconsin and settled on a farm in Washington County, where eight children, including the subject of this sketch, were born, two others having been previously born to them in Canada. Arthur E. Darton acquired the elements of knowledge in the district school of the neighborhood. His parents moving to Beaver Township, Clark County, he remained with them, assisting to operate the new farm, which in course of time became his property. His father had erected a barn on the property, 35 by 54 feet, and he, himself, built two, each with cement floor, one measuring 30 by 50 and the other 18 by 60 feet. He also improved the property in other ways and raised Holstein cattle and Percheron horses, being successful in his operations.
As a citizen interested in the welfare of his community, he held office for a while as a member of the township side board. In November, 1915, Mr. Darton found himself in a position to retire, and, having done his share of hard work, he took up his residence in the village of Loyal, where he is a highly esteemed citizen. He is a member of the Woodmen's camp in this village.
Mr. Darton was married Jan. 1, 1896, to Olga Rossman, daughter of Hall M. Rossman, a pioneer of Greenwood Township, he having died Jan. 24, 1917. Mr. Darton and his wife are the parents of two children, Claire and Hugh. The religious affiliations of the family are with the Methodist Church.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.