Bio: Carl Gotlieb Grottke (1844 - ?)
Contact: email@example.com on Fri, 16 Feb 2001
Surnames: GROTTKE, KORSEGE, RATCH, GINTHER, PAUEL
----Source: 1918 History of Clark Co., WI, by Franklyn, Curtiss-Wedge
CARL GOTLIEB GROTTKE, a prosperous farmer of Grant Township, who has achieved prosperity wholly as the result of his own exertions, having begun farming in this township as a pioneer, without money or any other resources, except good health, a strong physique and a courageous spirit, was born in Selassing, Province of Breslow, town of Schottay, Germany, Aug. 5, 1844, son of Carl and Susana (Korsege) Grottke. His parents, who were farmers, lived and died in Germany. They had seven children: Lena, Donthea, Carlina, Carl, William, Ernest and Rosa, of whom Carl, Carlina and Lena came to the United States, the others remaining in Germany.
Carlina is now the widow of Carl Ratch, of Grant Township; Lena is the wife of a Mr. Ginther, of Lynn Township, Clark County.
Carl G. Grottke attended school in Germany and grew up on his parents' farm.
On Feb. 28, 1866, he was married in that country to Anna Rose Pauel, who was born in Schlassing, Germany, Jan. 8, 1848. Her father was Paul Pauel who was born in Russia, where he served in the army, but subsequently went to Germany, where he also was a soldier, and where he made his home until his death at the age of 48 years, April 9, 1849. He and his wife had five children: Carlina, Susana, Helena Carl and Anna Rosa, the last mentioned being the only one of the family to come to the United States, and being now the only survivor. In 1885 Carl G. Grottke came alone to the United States to investigate conditions in the Northwest with the view to bringing his family here for permanent settlement. He was not accompanied by his family, as he found it necessary first to earn money to pay for their passage, and could do so quicker in this country than in Germany. As soon as possible he sent them the money and a little later his wife arrived here with their three children-Ernest, Paulina and Gustave. Of the two.latter, Paulina is now a resident of New Lisbon, Wis., and Gustave is deceased.
The family first located in Lynn Township, but soon removed to Grant Township, where Mr. Grottke rented a farm, which he operate for two years, and at the end of that time found himself with $25 in cash. Although not yet a capitalist, he now purchased a tract of 120 acres, the price being $775. The place was covered with stumps, stones, brush and logs, having been the site of a logging camp, and there was a logging shanty on the land, which he and his family immediately appropriated for a residence. After living in it a while it burned down and Mr. Grottke replaced it by a frame dwelling. The latter, however, was destroyed by a tornado and then Mr. Grottke built a cement-block house, which so far has defied the elements and now constitutes the family residence. When he started to clear the farm he had nothing but his hands for tools, but borrowed a team from one of his neighbors. He and his wife also had two cows and twenty-five chickens. In the summer time they picked berries, which they carrier to Neillsville and sold for 7 or 8 cents a quart, and the money was always well earned. Both Mr. and Mrs. Grottke worked in the fields during the earlier days, but later they got a team of horses and Mr. Grottke attended to the outside work, while his wife presided over the household. They were German Lutherans in religious faith, and he had served on the board of his church in Germany.
After coming here
he filled a similar position in the church in Lynn Township, and
later in the Granton Church. Since those early days he and his
family have advanced in prosperity, and in the regard and
estimation of their neighbors. Their success has been well
deserved, and their farm is now highly improved, with good
buildings. Of their children, two have been mentioned already, and
a sketch of their son Ernest will be herein given.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs