Bio: David Hillert (1854 - ?)
Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org on Fri, 16 Feb 2001
Surnames: HILLERT, SCHMACT, LIESKY, KRUMHAUER, BYER, RODER
----Source: 1918 History of Clark Co., WI, by Franklyn, Curtiss-Wedge
DAVID HILLERT, proprietor of a profitable farm in section 11, Grant township, is a man who has achieved success through earnest effort, having started in life without any extraneous advantages. He was born in Ausaka, Wis., June 28, 1854, son of George and Louise (Schmact) Hillert. The parents were born in Germany and married in Berlin, the father following the various occupations of farmer, carpenter and miller. In 1852 he and his family, consisting of his wife and three children-Anna, Gottlieb and another that died after they had settled in this country, took passage on a sailing vessel for the United States and in due time reached Milwaukee, then merely a small village. There they remained for awhile, Mr. Hillert working at whatever he could'find to do. He then rented land in the town of Kaham, Wausaka County, but after remaining there for three or four years he and his family.removed to Sheboygan County. There he secured a tract of wild land in Sherman Township, put up a log building and began the laborious task of developing a homestead. At first, when he began working for the farmers, he had to cradle wheat all day for thirty-five cents, but later in Sheboygan County received $1 a day. After he had secured an ox team he made faster progress on his-farm, which in time he brought to a fair state of development. Born Aug. 9, 1819, he died in 1900. His wife, who was born in November, 1819, died in 1902. In addition to the three children who accompanied them from Germany, five others were born to them in Wisconsin--David, Louisa, Johanna, Henry and Martha. The parents were members of the German Lutheran Church.
David Hillert grew to manhood in Sheboygan County, where, in his boyhood, he attended the log schoolhouse of his district, with one window on each side and in which the scholars used benches, made of split logs. When old enough he began working as a farm hand, earning $12 a month and was thus occupied until 1875, when, being still a single man, he bought his present farm in sectional, Grant Township, Clark County, and which then consisted of eighty acres of wild land. On it he built a one-room log house, 18 by 26. feet, which occupied the site of the present substantial ten-room house. Mr. Hillert started the development of his farm with nothing but an ox and a grubhoe, making his own drag; but after a year
on the place he secured a team of oxen. For awhile he boarded with his brother.
On Oct. 18, 1877, he was married at the house of his brother, Gottlieb, to Wilhelmina Krumhauer, who was born in Brandenburg, Germany, Oct. 29, 1855,'daughter of August and Elizabeth (Liesky) Krumhauer. Her parents came to the United States in 1867, accompanied by two daughters, Wilhelmina and Henrietta, the latter of whom married Henry Byer and died in 1915. - After five weeks on the ocean in a sailing vessel they landed in America and proceeded to Sheboygan County, Wis., where Mr. Krumhauer located on a farm, where they remained until March, 1876. They then came to Lynn Township, Clark County, and took a farm on which there was a log house and barn and a small clearing. In their latter years he and his wife resided with the subject of this sketch, but both are now deceased.
They were members of the German Lutheran
Church. After their marriage, Mr. and Mrs. Hillert moved into the
log house he had built, and began clearing his land, in which labor
his wife helped him. His first barn was also of logs and measured
16 by 20 feet. Since those days he has made steady advances in
prosperity, his farm being now well developed and increased in size
by additional purchases of land to 200 acres. He has erected a good
basement barn, 36 by 74 feet in dimensions, together with other
necessary buildings and is carrying on general farming with
profitable results. He is also a stockholder in the Bank of Granton
and in the Wausau packing plant. Though not a township official he
has served on the board of the German parochial school. He and his
wife had five children, one of whom, Ida, is now deceased. The
others are: Amelia, now Mrs. Paul Roder; August, living at home,
and Bertha and Emma.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs