Bio: Edward F. Short (1880 - ?)
Contact: email@example.com on Thu, 15 Feb 2001
Surnames: SHORT, MCGINNIS, GRIFFITH, SCHROEDER, RICHMOND
----Source: 1918 History of Clark Co., WI, by Franklyn, Curtiss-Wedge
EDWARD F. SHORT, proprietor of Lone Pine Tree Farm, Washburn Township, was born in this township, Feb. 18, 1880, son of John and Jennie (McGinnis) Short, mention of whom is made elsewhere in this volume. He was educated in the district school, and at the age of 13 struck out for himself, going to work for Mr. Griffith in Washburn. After two winter seasons in his employ he, in 1902, began to work for Mr. George Crother in general farm work and was thus occupied for ten years, also taking several trips to the far West; one of these, which was a pleasure trip, was to Portland and back, by way of Canada, when he visited the exposition at Seattle.
After this experience Mr. Short bought a tract of eighty acres of land in Section 4, Washburn Township, upon which he lived as a bachelor one year, being theft united in marriage with Mrs. Clara Schroeder, who was a daughter of James Carter. She had a son, Ernest, by her former husband, whom Mr. Short adopted after his marriage. He has since brought his farm into good condition, and is profitably engaged in raising a good grade of cattle, Percheron horses, Poland-China hogs and Plymouth Rock chickens.
His farm derives
its name of Lone Pine Tree Farm from a pine tree that stands in the
yard, which was saved from the brush burning by Mrs. George Short,
an aunt of Mr. Short. The farm was first started by Joe Richmond.
Mr. Short is a member of the Shortville Dairy Company. He also
organized the Farmers' Institute of Washburn Township which has now
become an established institution. Fraternally he belongs to the
Mystic Workers and to the Odd Fellows Lodge at Neillsville, and is
a member of the Presbyterian Church.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs