Bio: Edward Kayhart (1846 - ?)
Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org on Thu, 15 Feb 2001
Surnames: KAYHART, DEMOUTH, VANDERHOOF, EMLING
----Source: 1918 History of Clark Co., WI, by Franklyn, Curtiss-Wedge
EDWARD KAYHART, a well known pioneer settler of Sherman Township, of which for many years he has been one of the leading citizens, was born on a farm in Morris County, N. J., Dec. 29, 1846, son of Richard and Elizabeth (Demouth) Kayhart. The parents were also natives of New Jersey. The father, Richard, died when the subject of this sketch was a babe of two years, and the latter subsequently resided with his mother on the farm. He had few educational opportunities, but became acquainted with agricultural work in its different branches, of which knowledge he afterwards made practical use.
In 1869 he came to Clark County, Wis., with Wesley Vanderhoof, and was employed in the construction of the old turnpike road that ran from Neillsville north towards Greenwood. He also spent three winters in the timber woods. In 1875, Mr. Kayhart bought a tract of eighty acres in Section 15, Sherman Township, there being at that time no road in the township. He had then been a married man for five years having been united in Dec. 29, 1870, to Mary Vanderhoof, daughter of Jacob and Jane (Miller) Vanderhoof. In the following year, 1876, he and his wife moved onto the farm, taking up their residence on it in the month of May. It was covered with timber, but no buildings. They built a little log shanty, with a scoop roof, 16 by 24 feet in size, and containing one room, which stood a little west of the present seven-room residence. Later, he built a log house, 16 by 24 feet in size, with four rooms, two downstairs and two up; also a log barn. He has now good barns and other buildings. His first stock was an ox team and one cow, but he now has a herd of good cattle.
Mr. Kayhart added
to his farm until he owned five or six hundred acres, but now farms
about 150 acres. He has cleared a large amount of land in his day,
and has also performed other useful service as the incumbent of
local offices, having served on the township board, of which he was
chairman for seventeen years, and as township treasurer. He was
especially instrumental in having appropriations made for the
construction of good roads, which have been of great benefit to the
township. Mr. Kayhart was a former shareholder in the Loyal Bank,
and is vice president of the Colby Bank. He and his wife have four
children: Libbie, now Mrs. Frank Durke, of Sherman Township, and
Wilber, Albert and Mamie, residing at home. Mamie is the wife of
Harry H. Emling of Osceola, Wis. They have one boy--Norman
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs