Bio: Edwin Eli Weast (1858 - ?)
Contact: email@example.com on Wed, 14 Feb 2001
Surnames: WEAST, PICKETT, CARNES, HOLLENDER, ROSS
----Source: 1918 History of Clark Co., WI, by Franklyn, Curtiss-Wedge
EDWIN ELI WEAST, who for a number of years until his death on Feb. 11, 1911, was one of the prominent and successful farmers of Weston Township, was born in Hartford, Washington County, Wis., Dec. 11, 1858. His parents were William and Laura (Pickett) Weast, William being a farmer from Cattaraugus County, New York, where he grew to manhood and was married. He and his wife then came to Menominee, Wis., and later to Washington County, thence, in 1870, going to Kansas, where he died in 1871.
His wife died in February, 1916. They had five children: Nellie, Frederick, Edwin E., Henry and Eva. Edwin E. Weast was the third child of his parents. His schooling was limited, as he had Io give up attendance after he was 9 years old, and at 12, when his father died, the main burden of supporting the family fell upon his young shoulders. So far as a boy of his age could, he rose to the responsibility, his efforts proving more fruitful with advancing years.
Growing to manhood on the farm, he succeeded, with such help as he could obtain, in wresting a living from the soil, and was married Jan. 25, 1881, to Ada Carnes, who was born on a farm at Hebron, Jefferson County, Wis., April 13, 1859, her parents being William and Eliza (Hollender) Carnes. Her father was born in Buffalo County, New York, his wife being a native of Pennsylvania and of German parentage. The Carnes family were of Scotch descent, and William Carnes' lifelong occupation was farming. He and his wife had five children: Eliza, Ada, Susie, Etta and William. After their marriage Mr. and Mrs. Weast went to Kansas, where they stayed a few months, living on a prairie farm. They then returned to Wisconsin, in 1882, settling in Clark County, Mr. Weast buying thirty-eight acres of land in Section 4, Weston Township, which was the old Robert Ross place. There were no buildings on it, nor any roads near it, and they first had to rent a dwelling.
They had a horse team, however, and in the year of their arrival Mr. Weast got two cows. As soon as possible he built a, good frame house of three rooms, now enlarged to thirteen rooms. Their first barn was a log structure, but he later built a good basement barn. From the modest beginning which he made, Mr. Weast through hard work and perseverance advanced gradually but surely on the road to prosperity. In time he made additional purchases of land until at the present time the estate contains nearly 400 acres.
Though he never cared for public office, he served in it occasionally as a good citizen willing to do his part, being at one time a member of the township board and school clerk for seven years. He belonged to the Odd Fellows lodge at Greenwood and was a member of the Methodist Church, and a man highly respected for his sterling character.
He left four children: Pearl, who resides in Seattle; Floyd, who is in St. Louis, and Ruth and William, who reside at home with their mother. Since the death of Mr. Weast, Mrs. Weast has managed the farm. She is a member of, the M. E. Church, also of the Rebeekah lodge of Greenwood.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs