Bio: Bass, Albert D. (History - 1854)
Contact: Janet Schwarze
Surnames: BASS ALLEN KNECHT
----Source: 1891 Bio.
History of Clark Jackson Co., WI, pg. 373 - 374.
Albert & Emma (Knecht) Bass
ALBERT D. BASS, a manufacturer of and dealer in pine and hard-wood lumber, lath, shingles, pickets, and also in general merchandise, at Mayville. His large mill was erected by himself and Nathan Clark in 1881, and in 1885 Mr. Bass bought his partner's interest. The capacity of the mill is 30,000 feet per day, and cuts from two to three millions each year. Our subject was born in Windham County, Connecticut, July 30, 1854, the son of Charles and Waity (Allen) Bass, both natives of Connnecticut. Albert D., their only child, was educated in the public schools of Hartford, but at the age of fourteen years left school and clerked a short time in a clothing store at Danielsonville. He then returned to Hartford and worked in a grocery store a few months next went to Leeds, Massachusetts, where he kept books for the Northampton Emery Wheel Company until the spring of 1874. In that year he came West, and finally landed at St. Paul, and then went to Hutchinson, McLoed County, Minnesota. Being short of means he went to work as a farm hand, which he continued a short time, and then taught school near by, in Meeker County. In the spring he came to La Crosse, and in June to Longwood, this county, where he worked in the woods at skidding, continuing for Hixon Withee until the fall of 1879, when he and Nathan Clark engaged in logging, in which they were very successful. Their camps were in the vicinity of Curtiss, but were located permanently here until 1881.
Mr. Bass was married August 10, 1881, to Emma Knecht, daughter of Gabriel Knecht, deceased she was baorn in La Crosse County, Wisconsin. Mr. Bass was Chairman of this town one year, and has taken the first degree in Masonry, but there is no Masonic Lodge here.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.