Bio: Niehoff, Felix & Mary Adeline
Contact: Janet Schwarze
Surnames: NIEHOFF, MELCHER, PETERS, LABUWI, HARDRATH, EDWARD
----Source: History of Clark County, Wisconsin (1918), by Franklyn, Curtiss-Wedge
Felix & Mary Adeline (Peters) Niehoff
FELIX NIEHOFF, engaged in the real estate business at Colby, and also proprietor of the Colby Hotel, is one of the enterprising and successful business men of Clark County. He was born on a farm two miles south of Horicon, Wis., April 2, 1882, son of Henry and Mary (Melcher) Niehoff. The parents were natives of Germany, the father coming to this country at the age of 16 years, and the mother at that of 14 years. They were married in Wisconsin, and Henry Niehoff followed the occupation of mason and contractor, and also that of a farmer.
On his parents' farm Felix Niehoff resided up to the age of 22 years, his education being acquired in the district school. He then spent a year in California, and on returning to Horicon, was married, Sept. 12, 1905, to Mary Adeline Peters, who was born in Woodland, Wis., daughter of Peter W. and Theresa (LaBuwi) Peters, her parents being natives of Wisconsin, but the father being of German and the mother of French ancestry. Mr. and Mrs. Niehoff came to Clark County in the fall of 1905, locating in Unity Township, where his father had a quarter section of wild land. Here they purchased an adjoining tract of eighty acres, upon which was a small house and log barn.
In 1906, and until 1908, he rented a farm in Beaver Township and then bought the old Ed. Romaine-farm in that township, a farm containing 200 acres, and with fair buildings, but in a "run down" condition. On this he made general improvements, clearing about forty acres more of the land. On that farm he raised good stock, besides the usual crops, putting it into a paying condition. In 1912 Mr. Niehoff sold his farm and came to the city of Colby, where he engaged in the real estate business, his present occupation. For the last two years he has handled land for the "Soo" Line Railroad. In the spring of 1912 he bought the old Hardrath farm of 240 acres in Green Grove Township, and stocked it with high grade Holstein cattle, which are now bred on the place. One of his most recent enterprises was the erection and opening in 1917 of the Hotel Niehof.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs