Frank C. Watson, 1868
Transcribed by Janet
----Source: History of Clark County, Wisconsin (1918), by Franklyn, Curtiss-Wedge, pg. 191 - 192.
Surname: WATSON, SLATER, DEARTH
FRANK C. WATSON, postmaster at Owen, Wis., was born in Morgan County, Ohio, June 28, 1868, son of John and Mary J. (Slater) Watson. The parents, who were of English descent, were, however, born in Ohio, and spent their lives in that state. John Watson was a farMer by occupation, and a. Democrat in politics. He was a prominent man in his community, holding at different times all the township offices, and was also for many years a member of and an active worker in the Methodist church, serving as superintendent of the Sunday school.
He died Feb. 7, 1903, at the age of 63 years, his wife passing away Nov. 6, 1916. They had five children: James E., who resides on the home farm in Ohio; Willmetta D., also a resident of that state; Frank C., of Owen, Wis.; Annie B., who died Feb. 14, 1905; and Mary J., who is living in Ohio in the vicinity of the old homestead. Frank C. Watson finished a two years' course in the normal school at Reinersville, Ohio, in 1886. Shortly afterwards he bought out a mercantile business at Mill Grove, that state, which he operated in partnership with his brother James for two years, during which time he was postmaster. He then sold out and returned home, where he remained two years, until 1896. Then going to Iowa, he worked on a farm there for two years, returning home to spend the following winter.
His next employment was at Belvidere, Ill., where he worked at farming and brick making. Again returning home, he was married, Feb. 21, 1900, to Amanda E. Dearth, daughter of Louis and Clara (Devoe) Dearth, of Morgan County, Ohio where her father is still living, her mother having passed away June, 1905. After his marriage Mr. Watson moved to Dixon, Ill., where he worked at the brickmaker's trade for a year. Then returning to Belvidere, Ill., he resided there seven years and a half, being employed in the National Sewing Machine Company's plant. He then came to Wisconsin and in partnership with J. A. Dearth engaged in the meat business at Owen, and was thus occupied for two years, when the firm sold out. Previous to that Mr. Watson had acquired a quarter section of land in Hixon Township, Clark County, buying it from the Owen Lumber Company, and after the meat business was disposed of he moved onto his land and lived there a short time, engaged in its improvement. He then moved to Rockford, Ill., where he worked for a wholesale meat firm.
From there he went to Freeport in the same state and operated a cleaning and pressing business. In June, 1910, he returned to his farm in Hixon Township, this county, and resumed improvements on it.
On Oct. 21, 1913, Mr. Watson was appointed postmaster of Owen by President Wilson, succeeding Thomas H. Wylie, and thereupon took up his residence in town, building a house here. On Jan. 24, 1918, he was reappointed to the same office and is still serving Owen was made a third class officer on May 4, 1909. It has two rural routes, covering forty-nine miles of road, and is the only terminal office in Clark County. All railroad postal clerks on the "Soo" Line Railway change here, both from Chicago and Minneapolis.
Mr. Watson is a
member of several fraternal orders, including the Odd Fellows and
Knights of Pythias' both of which have lodges in Owen. In the Odd
Fellows lodge he has passed all the chairs, and he is a member of
the Ridgley Protective Association of Worcester, Mass., a branch of
the same order. Aside from this he belongs to the Owen Commercial
Club, and is a member of and active worker, in the First
Congregational church of Owen, of which he is a deacon and one of
the trustees. Though he has traveled about considerably, his
interests are now in Clark County, and here, so far as he knows, he
is likely to make his permanent home.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs