Bio: Frank M. Krejci, 1859
Surnames: KREJCI, KUNESH, SCHAEFER, CHASKA, HEMP, HALES
----Source: History of Clark
County, Wisconsin (1918), by Franklyn, Curtiss-Wedge
Frank M. Krejci Family and Residence
FRANK M. KREJCI, proprietor of a paying farm in section 33, York Township, was born in Washington County, Wis., Nov. 4, 1859, son of John and Mary (Kunesh) Krejci, who were natives of Europe, where they were married. The parents came to the United States in the latter forties of the 19th century, accompanied by one child, Barbara. Landing in this country after a six weeks' voyage in a sailing vessel, they proceeded to Washington County, Wisconsin. John Krejci had been a farmer in Germany and he now secured a piece of improved land in Trention Township, Washington County, and began the work of improvement with an ox team. His place was located thirty-two miles from Milwaukee, then an insignificent hamlet, to which he often walked, bringing home provisions on his back. There he resided until the last ten years of his life, when he moved to Milwaukee. He had cleared and improved his farm, erecting good buildings on it and had reached a state of comparative prosperity.
He died at the age of 84 years and his wife at that of 66. In addition to their daughter Barbara, they had eight children born in Washington County: Mary, Joe, Barbara, second (the first of the name having died young) Frank M., Wencil, Joe (second), Anna and Louis. Frank M. Krejci attended school in Washington County and grew to manhood on the farm. He began working independently at the age of 20 years, and after spending two years at farming, took up the carpenters' trade, at which he was occupied for three years. In 1885 he was united in marriage with Ann Schaefer, who was born in Washington County, daughter of Joe Schaefer and his wife, Mary (Chaska) Schaefer, both parents being natives of Germany. Coming to Clark County as a young married couple, Mr. Krejci and wife resided for the first winter with John Klinkee, and in the following spring moved onto their present place in section 33, York Township. It then consisted of eighty acres of wild land and there being no road, they had to cut their way in. Mr. Krejci built a log house of one room, 14 by 26 feet in dimensions, and also a log barn, and then proceeded with the arduous task of developing a farm. It was not until the next spring that he got a cow, and it was five years later when he got a yoke of steers.
His first crops were grubbed in, and he often walked to Neillsville carrying home supplies on his back. His wife, accompanying him, carried eggs and butter to market, receiving six cents a pound for butter. In course of time, by his own hard labor, he got his land cleared, also building a nice brick residence of eight rooms, a barn 36 by 48 feet, and a silo of 100 tons capacity. He raises a good grade of stock and is the proprietor of a good farm which renders profitable returns for the labor invested in it. In early days Mr. Krejci himself spun wool to make yarn, his wife and daughters doing the knitting.
He is a
shareholder in the Granton State Bank and the packing plant at
Wausau and was formerly a member of the company that operated the
old cheese factory. For one year he served as a member of the
township side board. He and his wife have six children: Victor,
unmarried, a farmer of Fremont Township; Emma, now Mrs. Louis Hemp,
of Neillsville, who has two children, Lea and Warren; Mary, wife of
George Hales and the mother of two children, Roma and Marion;
Thomas, Stella and Edwin, all reside at home.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs