Bio:

Delap, Myron W. (History - 1851)

Contact:

Janet Schwarze

Email:

stan@wiclarkcountyhistory.org

Surnames:

DELAP NICE BUSH FLETCHER WESLEY TAYLOR COOK

----Source: 1918 History of Clark County, Wisconsin

 


MYRON W. DELAP, a well-known citizen of Abbotsford, is a native of Wisconsin, having been born at Monroe, Green County, Jan. 16, 1851, son of John W. and Elizabeth (Nice) DeLap. The father, born June 7, 1829, was a farmer in Green County, for many years, and for several years a merchant at Melville, in this state. A Republican in politics, he took an active part in local affairs, was prominent in his community, and a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He is now residing at Boscobel, Wis.

 

His wife, who was born Mar. 29, 1829, died May 6, 1883, leaving five children: Melissa Amelia, Myron Webster, William Elizabeth, John Fletcher and Charles Wesley. The present Mrs. De Lap was formerly Mary Bush. Myron W. DeLap left home in 1889, going to Marshfield, Wis., where he worked in a furniture factory until 1892. He then went to Abbotsford and was in the employ of the "Soo" Railroad for five years as night agent, afterwards five years as cashier, and later for two years in the dispatcher's office. He left the railway company to become postmaster at Abbotsford. In l909, serving in that position until 1913. In March, 1913, he began business in Abbotsford as a shoe merchant, in which enterprise he was successful, his store having been the only one exclusively confined to that line of trade.

 

As a resident of Abbotsford he has spent a number of years in public office, his service including fourteen years on the school board and three years as village clerk, in which latter office he is still serving. He is a member of the Presbyterian Church and for many years has been Sunday school superintendent. He is also a Mason, being a member of Blue Lodge, No. 298, of Abbotsford, in which he has passed through the chairs and of Camp No. 17, Modern Woodmen of America.

 

Mr. DeLap assumed the responsibilities of domestic life on Jan. 16, 1872, when he was united in marriage with Laura E. Taylor, born in Grant County, Wis., June 6, 1853, daughter of James L. and Catherine (Cook) Taylor, and this union has been blessed with two children, Lottie May and Laura Elizabeth, the former of whom is the wife of C. E. Crockett, of Stevens Point, and has had one child, Mildred Esther, who died in September, 1910, at the age of 5 years, and the latter of whom lives at home. James L. Taylor was born in Kentucky, Mar. 9, 1825, was reared in Indiana, came to Wisconsin as a young man, and for many years followed his occupation as a cooper. He served in the Civil War with Company F, 7th Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry, lost his leg in the Battle of the Wilderness, and was confined for a time in Libby Prison. He died Nov. 24, 1887. His wife was born in Canada, June 8, 1827, and died April 8, 1886. Their children were: David Andrew, Laura Etta, Mary Amelia, James Leslie, Edgar B., William Albert, George Eli and John Frederick.

 

THE DELAP FAMILY

 

Mr. Myron DeLap moved his family to Abbotsford in 1895, where they first lived in the Roter house. He worked as night agent for the Wisconsin Central Railroad, and a few years later, as cashier. He then went to work in the post office, under M. H. Douglas, the postmaster at that time. Mr. DeLap became postmaster January 12, 1909, having received his appointment during the William Howard Taft administration. During his residence in Abbotsford, he served at times as village constable, superintendent of a Sunday school, member of the village library board, the school board, he was master of the Masonic lodge, and often sang in the church choir. The house on Second Street, now owned by Mrs. Stella Gronek, was built in the early 1900's for Dr. J.D. Jackson, a dentist, who sold it to Mr. DeLap when he moved to Indianapolis in 1905. Before Dr. Jackson arrived in Abbotsford, Dr. McTaggert's dental office was in the upstairs of the Young building over the post office. They had two daughters, Lottie and Elizabeth.

 

 (From the Abbotsford Centennial "100 Years" 1973, pg. 49)

 

 


© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.

 

Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.

 

Become a Clark County History Buff

 

Report Broken Links

A site created and maintained by the Clark County History Buffs
and supported by your generous
donations.

 

Webmasters: Leon Konieczny, Tanya Paschke,

Janet & Stan Schwarze, James W. Sternitzky,

Crystal Wendt & Al Wessel.

 

CLARK CO. WI HISTORY HOME PAGE