Bio: Garrison, Lleyellen O. (History - 1850)



----Source: 1918 History of Clark County, Wisconsin



Lleyellen O. Garrison, 1850

Mr. L. O. Garrison, whose portrait appears to the right, was the first settler in the village of Thorp, having located where the village now stands at the time of the building of the Wisconsin Central railroad from Abbottsford to Chippewa Falls in 1880. He is the resident partner and manager of the firm of Garrison Bros., who are engaged in the mercantile, real estate and banking business. He is the present postmaster at Thorp, and one of the most energetic and successful businessmen in Clark Co., Wisconsin.

"Clark County Illustrated" by Saterlee, Tifft & Marsh; 1890

LLEYELLEN O. GARRISON, a pioneer merchant of Thorp Village, now passed away, was for many years a man widely known throughout this part of Clark County, and highly esteemed. He was born in McHenry County, Ill., March 17, 1850, son of Orestes and Viola (Sheldon) Garrison. His parents were natives of St. Lawrence County, N. Y., the father being a lumberman, who in early days conducted a business at Grand Rapids, Wis., where both he and his wife died. Their family consisted of five children: Alma, now deceased Charles B., who is living in Portland, Ore. Frank, deceased Henry, deceased, and Lleyellen Orestes, subject of this sketch, also deceased. Lleyellen O. Garrison finished school at Eastman's Business College, Poughkeepsie, N. Y., graduating in May, 1869. His father then had a general store at Grand Rapids and Lleyellen, returned there and became bookkeeper for him, remaining as such until the father's death in 1874, when the business was closed up.


In the same year, on May 19, he was united in marriage with Annie Harkness, and in 1875 they went to Winona, Minn., where Mr. Garrison kept books for the George Hilles Lumber Company. Two years later he returned to Grand Rapids for a short time then, in 1880 he came to Clark County, locating at Norfolk, now Thorp, where he opened the first general store in the place. It was located in a small frame building, but the business grew so rapidly that larger quarters were needed and he erected a new brick building, in which he continued his mercantile activities until his sudden death Jan. 12, 1913. He had returned home on Saturday night as well as usual and, was found dead in his bed on Sunday morning. He was not quite 63 years old. For a number of years he had been associated in business with his brother Frank, the connection lasting until the latter's death in 1905. The original style of the firm was Garrison Bros., it being later changed to Garrison Mercantile Company. The Garrison brothers were also associated together in the banking business, on Jan, 1, 1885, organizing a private bank, which was the first bank in Thorp, and the only one for several years. Later it was incorporated as a state bank under the style of Peoples' State Bank of Thorp.


L. O. Garrison was one of the organizers of Thorp Village and for awhile served as clerk of the council. He was a Republican in politics and was appointed postmaster of Thorp, but on account of his other business interests had to resign before the expiration of his term. Mr. Garrison was one of the best known and most popular citizens of Clark County, being not only honest but generous in all his dealings with his fellowmen. He was a member of the Odd Fellows Lodge and was well informed on the history of Clark County, in his later years occasionally writing articles of historic interest relating to early events. His death left a void in the community that will not be easily filled. His marriage to Annie Harkness in 1874, has already been mentioned. She was born in Wood County, Wis., Feb. 6, 1855, daughter of Frank and Anna Harkness, her parents being natives of Scotland, who came to Canada when young and were there married. Subsequently they removed to Wood County, Wis., their daughter Annie being reared in Grand Rapids, that county. The father was a farmer by occupation.


When the Civil War was in progress he enlisted in Company K, 12th Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry, under Captain Bodkin. About the close of the war he was taken sick and sent to the hospital at Richmond, Va., where he died in 1865. His wife survived him about eleven years, dying in 1876. They had nine children, of whom the following is a brief record: Mary, deceased Jennie, the widow of William Hunter, residing at Northfield, Minn. Margaret, widow of E. Warner, residing at Grand Rapids, Wis. William, deceased Frank, of Northfield, Minn. Annie, widow of L. 0. Garrison, of Thorp, and Emeline, Henrietta and Llewellen, who are deceased. Mr. and Mrs. Garrison became the parents of three children: Julia Winona, born Dec. 28, 1877 Lelah, born Dec. 25, 1879 and Mosman Dean, born Jan. 1, 1881. None of these children are now living. Julia died at the age of 18, while attending college. Lelah died when 2 years old, and Mosman in 1913, at the age of 32 years. The latter married Susan McCutcheon and they had one child, Edith, who was born Aug. 29, 1910.



© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.


Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.


Become a Clark County History Buff


Report Broken Links

A site created and maintained by the Clark County History Buffs
and supported by your generous donations.


Webmasters: Leon Konieczny, Tanya Paschke,

Janet & Stan Schwarze, James W. Sternitzky,

Crystal Wendt & Al Wessel